Monday, February 3, 2014

Fourteen, But Who's Counting?

Oh, lest I forget...Newmentia was off school today. That makes Day 14, putting us out the Thursday after Memorial Day, I believe. We'll see what develops tomorrow.

The roads must have indeed been icy. The Pony and I went to town around noon, and the trees still had a shiny clear coating of ice on their branches. We had ice along the sides of our county road. Once we entered civilization, thoroughfares were clear. We stopped by a grocery store for some cherry peppers, an item not stocked any more by The Devil's Playground. The Pony grabbed Famous Amos off a top shelf. Then we played the quarter-pushing game, winning $1.75 for our $2.00. Clearly, we are gambling addicts, because we put it all back in, only to win fifty cents, then nothing. Thank the Gummi Mary, I went on to my gas station chicken store and cashed in $15.00 of scratch-off tickets, which won me $40.00. The better to buy more tickets with at several later dates.

On to my mom's house, where we scofflawlessly pulled into her driveway. The ice there had melted, so no harm, no tongue-lashing. We gave Mom two gently-used tabloids and three polish sausages and eight buns. She gave us two regular baggies and two snack baggies of Chex Mix. No cash exchanged hands.

The rest of the day was uneventful, if you don't count the worker at Subway's with short-term memory loss. THREE TIMES she rang up a personal cheese pizza and a personal bacon and beef pizza. NO! One pizza, cheese. One sweet onion chicken teriyaki on wheat. Seriously. WHO orders bacon and beef on pizza? Oh, and then another one had the nerve to ask if I wanted the sweet onion sauce on the sweet onion chicken teriyaki sandwich. Um...yes. That's actually the name of the sandwich. I swear. The help is not what it used to be in that place. I've half a mind to let the owner know. We're like|that. He's a former student and now a Newmentia bigwig. I used to know most of the workers there, but now they're different. Maybe the good ones went to his other store.

That's about it. My sweet, sweet Juno gamboled around the porch all morning, then spent the afternoon hours sleeping in the sun of the front yard and the back porch. She must be filling up on eggs again, since we haven't found any, and her coat is magnificent. Not that she would steal eggs, of course. I'm sure they are the damaged ones that the hens push out of the nest, encouraging her to clean up the mess.

The hour grows late. It's looking like we're going to attempt a day of attendance tomorrow, with the possibility of early dismissal.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I hope you are able to get enough of a day in that it will "count."

I'm hoping for a day off on Wednesday. We've added to our calendar, and now we have to make up every other one. This next one would be a "freebie."

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Joke's on me. Newmentia called off around 9:30 last night. Kind of late for us. Better late than not at all.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Last time Toni Louise went for a vaccination, I pointed out a "hot spot" on her back. She was constantly scratching and chewing on that spot. The vet pronounced her fur to be lack luster!! Put her on fish oil capsules and she is looking good again, hot spot gone. So, I could have just let her eat all my eggs!!! She loves her fish oil, by the way. No poking it to the back of her throat, she waits patiently for her pill every morning and pops it with her teeth, then spends the morning licking it down.
The capsules are cheaper than eggs ......

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I don't think Juno would take as much pleasure in spending her day hunting down fish oil capsules. Allegedly.