Friday, February 21, 2014

One Woman's Man Is Another Woman's Shiny Gewgaw

In yesterday's photo, I thought I saw a dude in the background. Here's that picture:


Right up there at the 11:00 o'clock position, it looks to me like a man wearing a dark suit with a blue collar and a plaid vest or tie. Just a torso, no legs. You know how the eyes try to make sense of random patterns, and see faces and objects that aren't really there. I asked The Pony if he saw anything strange in the picture, and he said, "Nope."

This morning as we left for school, I told him that it looked to me like there was a man's face and body-top in the Stockings' picture. "I know that's where the dangly thing that my grandma gave us hangs, but to me, it looked like half a man, with a face and suit."

"Well, it's no wonder you saw a face. That hanging thing has a big face on it. The sun." We locked up the door and rounded the corner of the porch.

"It's not there! The hanging thing is not there! I guess the winds blew it down yesterday. They were 60 miles an hour, you know. I'm surprised our power didn't go out." I looked over the side of the rail. Aha! There it was, in the goldfish pond that just thawed, in the soggy leaves that had swirled from the woods behind the Mansion.


It's upside down here, but this is what used to dangle where I saw my imaginary man. He doesn't quite look the same now.

2 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Mystery solved. I stayed awake all night last night, tossing and turning, wondering and worrying about what or who that was in your picture.

And I also wondered...how is that cat so well fed, and yet Juno gets accused of helping herself to cat food?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I apologize for your loss of ZZZZZs. As for the tossing and turning, consider it an aerobic workout.

That picture is actually quite flattering to the fat cat. He looks half the size of his in-person girth. I suppose my cell phone camera subtracts ten pounds where felines are concerned. Or else black IS really slimming.