Wednesday, August 16, 2017

It Kind Of Makes Me Long For The Things That Go BUMP In The Night

You may recall that the Mansion has experienced some unexplained thumping lately. And that I heard Farmer H clear his throat in the basement workshop down under the master bedroom where I was fully awake...over 20 minutes after Farmer H had left the Mansion to take neighbor Tommy to town last Friday.

On Saturday, I was awakened by someone saying my name. Just my first name. In a normal tone, normal volume. I was laying on my left side, as I like to sleep, facing the wall that hosts the fake fireplace with that battery-operated candle on the mantel that was mysteriously glowing one early morning as I went to bed.

"Hillbilly."

That was all. Just my first name. Normal tone, normal volume. I couldn't discern if it was a man or woman saying my name. It was not a voice I recognized. Nothing frantic like a warning, or spooky to scare me, or loud to wake me. Just a voice, over my right shoulder, as if standing at the other side of the bed, saying my name. Once. I can't really describe it. The tone was pretty nondescript. Human. From the height of where someone's head would be if they were standing. Not laying in the bed, not sitting down, not in the bathroom or living room.

Some really weird things happen around here.

7 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Someone is trying to drive you over the edge. Who would benefit from having you signed away into a "facility" on a long-term basis?

Anonymous said...

It was probably one of the dogs wanting a snack!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Hmm...now who could that possibly be? Not neighbor Tommy. Not Crazy Stick Dude. Not HOS. Maybe my sister the ex-mayor's wife, but it's a bit of a drive for her, with a risk of getting her car dirty. WAIT A MINUTE! Could it be Farmer H? He DID keep harping about me going into a nursing home there for a while. I think I've got it! He sure is good at hiding how smart he is.

***
fishducky,
You know, they have come to feel ENTITLED to a snack, both morning AND evening. When I walk in the mornings, they gather and wait on the porch when I'm done. Same thing if I walk in the evening. In fact, even if I don't walk one of those times, the dogs are waiting expectantly on the porch. Even if Juno is in her house, I can feel her waitingness!

It's like that Rise of the Planet of the Apes movie a few years ago with Caesar and James Franco, when Caesar says "NO." Except one of my dogs said my name! I hope they don't go all ape on me.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

A thump in the night is pretty ambiguous, but someone calling your name is scary.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I'll even take the name-calling. I'm not pleased with the three pokes to the neck, and a shoulder poke. I've been awakened by them before when Farmer H was not even in the bedroom.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Maybe Shacky Town is built upon an old burial site and the haints have come to tell you.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I don't know, but when they were clearing the land about a quarter mile up the gravel road for Farmer H's buddy, Buddy's house...he found a cannon ball. Farmer H's older boys have found arrowheads down by the creek behind our house. And the headless man I saw in the basement had on an old-timey shirt with a funny collar.