Saturday, August 19, 2017

Like Farmer, Like Phone

Farmer H has selective hearing. I think he has somehow programmed his phone to have selective text-receiving. Not that he's a wizard with electronic gewgaws. Most likely by accident.

Yesterday, I saw some tall plastic Coke bottle banks. Everybody knows (and if they don't, it's because he hasn't met them yet) that Farmer H collects Coke stuff, and has a whole area of his BARn devoted to it. When I saw an endcap display at The Devil's Playground, I took a picture to send to Farmer H. Sorry to the guy I got in the background. I was consciously trying to wait until he moved, but I didn't have my glasses, and thought he'd walked far enough away. He's dressed quite formally to be in The Devil's Playground, don't you think?


"Do you have the tall Coke bank in red?"

I sent Farmer H a text, because I couldn't remember if his bank was red, or that clear green tinted one. He has a bank sitting in the bedroom at the end of the dresser, right by the entrance to the master bathroom. I walk past it MANY times a day and night, but I don't pay attention to it. I know it's about 1/3 full of pennies. But not the color.

I waited all of 30 seconds for a reply, and then worked my way back towards the checkout, stopping to pick up some Equate brand Pepcid, mint flavor. I got in line and waited. And waited. Still no reply. So I figured I'd reached the point of no return to that Coke bottle bank display. If Farmer H responded, I'd tell him that he could pick one up for himself the next day. Didn't look like they'd sell out by then.

Anyhoo...Farmer H called on the way home from work. It wasn't a scheduled work day for him, but he'd made two trips up there to get some junk that he wanted, one item being a camper shell off my dad's old pickup truck that Farmer H had sold to work many years ago, and now they were giving him for free, to save trash fees.

"Did you see the text I sent you?"

"No."

"Just before noon."

"I don't have a text from you."

"Look again. Go into the part that's only from me."

"No. I don't have one."

"Turn your phone off. And then back on. Like you did when you couldn't get texts from HOS."

A few minutes later, Farmer H sent me a text. "I got it now."

"Do you have one like that?"

"You know, I couldn't tell you the color."

Yeah. He's a selective text-receiver. And we're both a couple of unobservant doofuses. Turns out the Coke bottle bank he has IS red. Who knew?

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

You seem like you're working on helping Farmer H fill up his shacks.

Are you doing this so once all of his Shackytown Shacks are "finished," he can begin on a new one?

What kind of shack do you desire?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Well...I want him to have nice things. And by "nice" I mean plastic, from The Devil's Playground. Farmer H didn't have much growing up, so he's grabbing all the toys he can in his old age.

I would still like a little writer's shack. You know. For when I get released from the nursing home where Farmer H said I should go. In case my knees won't allow travel down to my dark basement lair. I might even sweet talk him into building me a ramp like he built his special chicken that couldn't hop up the makeshift ladder to the coop. He'd probably make me the ramp, and then no shed...

Anonymous said...

A ramp to nowhere?

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
Yes, a ramp to nowhere. I've seen steps to nowhere. And driveways to nowhere. So a ramp to nowhere won't surprise me, especially if Farmer H is involved.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

A ramp to nowhere. That sounds like someone else I know ....

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I would not be shocked to find out that you already have a ramp to nowhere. You can admit it. I won't be jealous.