Thursday, December 12, 2013

It Seems Like Only Yesterday He Was Hiding Inside The Circular Clothes Racks At The Devil's Playground

The #1 son turned 19 today. I sent him a text. He'll be home this week, so he can get his cards and presents then. Hope he doesn't read this. Then I'll have to go out and get cards and presents.

So...I texted him the words to Happy Birthday. I promised to put gas money in his bank account, since he professes that without it, he can't get home. Somehow I don't see him living in a van down by the river until spring semester starts. Perhaps he has exaggerated a bit about not being able to get home. He can always stand on the highway with an old pizza box: "Will work for gas money." Or in his case, "Will stop pestering you if you give me gas money." I swear. That boy could be the inspiration for Red Chief, and the ensuing ransom fiasco.

I also texted that he seems to have the right idea. He's not leaving until Saturday. I thought he should come earlier. One of these days, I'm going to learn to be careful what I wish for. Anyhoo...his last final was yesterday, and I accused him of hanging around until the last possible moment to check out. "Um. No. I could actually stay until 6:00 p.m. if I wanted to." Guess he told me. Funny how a kid wants to stick around in a town he declares has NOTHING to offer in the way of entertainment.

What I meant was that he had the right idea, because a new winter storm is going to hit Friday morning. At least where he is located. So maybe if he waits until Saturday, it will have blown over, and the roads will be in better shape. He had the bright idea that if the weather is bad, he can go out of his way and stick to the interstates, coming home through the city. A bit of a detour, but it might take the same amount of time. However, #1 must have misunderstood my meaning about the departure date and the timing of the weather.

"My idea about going through the city?"

"No. About leaving Saturday instead of Friday."

"I will not allow myself to day I told you so."

"And you won't SAY it, either."

"Oh, the irony! The one who can barely text is making fun of my text."

"I never understood the concept of irony."

"Which is also probably irony."

"I'm in The Devil's Playground. People are staring at me as I use my mad skilz at arm's length."

"Don't ever use "skilz" like that again."

"Redonkulous!"

Last word! Technically, he forbade me to ever SPEAK the word "redonkulous" again during his 9th grade year. I suppose that's why I got no rebuttal. Either that, or he was pounding his head against the wall.

See you soon, Sonny!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, and lots of other opportunities to embarrass await him.

If he wants gas money, he has to put up with getting red in the face over his parents' antics.

(Gas cards make great Christmas or birthday gifts, and kill two birds with one stone.)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I just want him home tomorrow after the snow. We'll negotiate future embarrassment and petroleum funding later.