Thursday, January 25, 2018

A Sweetie And A Rogue

You know that expression, "Keep your nose clean." The one that means to stay out of trouble. Some people are good at it. Others are not. Same with animals, I guess.

My Sweet, Sweet Juno pretty much lives her life by that saying. Jack...not so much. He's a feisty fellow, while Juno is more timid, and hates turmoil, and just wants to have things her way all the time, and not be bothered by other dogs. Jack is always in the middle of any activity, sometimes instigating the turmoil. I blame Farmer H for blaming any unpleasant findings on Jack. Like poop on the back of his 1980 Olds Toronado. Or poop in the garage. Or holes dug into the front yard. Or a FedEx package chewed up, with gift wallet made of Bison leather, monogrammed, with RFID blocker, from Sharper Image, 1/3 eaten. Okay. Jack IS guilty of the last two. But he has such a gusto for life!

Look at that precious face! Sweet, Sweet Juno knows I saved her from starvation by taking her in as a tiny pup, dumped out along the road at my mom's house. Oh, and believe you me, my mom had no intentions of feeding her or taking her in. Genius is the one who kind of coerced me. But Genius isn't here for Juno to be sweet and loving to. So I'm it.

In the background, you might notice that scalawag Jack. He can't be still for a moment. It's like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. I DID get a picture of him while he was trying to lick up the crumbs left from Juno's pile of cat kibble.


That's when I saw that the top of his nose was caked with dried mud. I don't have any idea what he's been up to today. I'm sure he will be falsely accused of many things, but one of these days, he's going to be guilty of one of them.

The little guy means well, though.


He just needs to learn how to get rid of the evidence of his possible ne'er-do-well-ness. I'm shocked that I got this last picture, because he was already running around by the time I looked up. I think he was hoping he could jump up and put his tongue on my teeth while I was trying to get him in focus.

7 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Doesn't everyone enjoy French kissing?

River said...

Juno sounds more like my kind of dog, sweet and biddable, happy to lie at my feet and be petted, and she's lovely to look at. Jack is a boy's dog. I can picture him with a boy, anywhere between 6 and 10, romping all over the places getting into scrapes, climbing trees, splashing through creeks, each looking out for the other. He is also lovely to look at.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
You can call me a specist...but I do not partake of inter-species Frenching!

***
River,
Juno and Jack thank you for the compliments!

I think you and Juno would be best buddies. She is a calm and loving pet. She used to be quite hyper as a pup and adolescent, well-suited to our acreage. She tore around it at an amazing speed, zigging and zagging, wanting to play, but with no younger dog to join her. I think she's part border collie and part lab. She used to poke her nose into the back of my thigh, trying to steer me away from the kitchen door when I was starting inside.

Jack definitely needs a boy to take him on adventures. At least he has Farmer H and the Gator. He loves running along with them, and jumping in the creek as weather permits. Farmer H said the mud on Jack's nose was from him digging up a deer. Or at least part of one. He was wrestling it around over by the new Storage Container Garage.

River said...

I can see the border collie in her fur, the way it sits.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
You can't tell from the picture, but she's all sleek and silky again, the matted fur having fallen out or been sawed with a pocket knife by Farmer H. Her fur does that every summer/winter.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Well, you know how I feel about dogs ..... The personalities make life fun. I prefer canines to humans! Jack and Eddie would be fast friends. Wall-E would take it all in stride and Toni Louise would be jealous of her look-alike. Cujo, well, as long as Cujo is with me, the world is perfect for him. I am the most important thing in his life.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Juno is also very jealous! She will even leave her pile of cat kibble unattended to walk over to where I'm giving Jack his portion, just to root her head under my arm, and get in between us to make sure Jack gets none of the obviously limited love that I have to give!

I see it as Jack and Eddie having a strong sense of their own identity, not needing us for validation. Cujo is lucky to have you as a buffer between him and the cold cruel world. Wall-E is, perhaps, the voice of reason, resigned to keeping everyone on track.