Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Doo Doo Doo Doo...Or Just A Bunch Of Doo-Doo?

Yesterday I came out of Save-A-Lot, pleased to see that the same car was parked beside T-Hoe as when I went in. That meant I would have no trouble getting that WIDE door open all the way, for ease of climbing into the driver's seat. I reached for the door, and was SHOCKED!

T-HOE'S DOOR WAS OPEN!

Yes. OPEN! Not wide open. Just not shut. Not even latched. A finger inserted into the crack of the door pulled it open, easy.

How was this even possible? Am I going senile? I remembered sliding down out of T-Hoe. Same as always. I kind of slide past the running board, because bending my knee stepping down hurts. I don't want to get all the mud from the running board on the back of my pants legs. So I kind of slide, stretching my feet out, so as to avoid the running board. I'm just tall enough that this works. I only drop a couple inches as I fall off the seat. Then I reach back to push off and right myself, so I'm not leaning back against it.

I KNOW I had stood there a minute, as usual, putting my phone in my pocket. Then I stepped away from the door, gave it a push to slam shut, and clicked the clicker on my keyring as I walked away, to lock the doors. NOW, the door was open. With my purse inside. I never take it in the store, but I DO put it down out of sight, in the back seat floor area, at Save A Lot.

I climbed in and looked for my purse. There it was! Everything still there. Just as I'd left it. What the Not-Heaven? Was I losing my mind? Probably! Because a SANE WOMAN would have been leery of entering that car! Might have thought someone was laying in wait for her. Would have opened all the doors and inspected the interior before getting in, to strap herself down and start moving. I didn't even think of that!

On to the Gas Station Chicken Store for my 44 oz Diet Coke. I got out, still leery about leaving the door open at Save A Lot. That just isn't me. I always follow my routine. I pushed the door to close it, consciously logging that act into my brain, and took a step away.

WAIT A MINUTE! That had not been the normal sound of T-Hoe's door slamming. I turned to look back, and THE DOOR WAS NOT CLOSED! AHA! It WASN'T my mental faculties in question, but T-Hoe's hardware. I opened the door and looked to see if anything was amiss, but it all looked fine. I pushed that door closed, and it worked. No clicking. No clunking.

Of course, when I got home, hoping the door would not close, so I could leave it and tell Farmer H...it worked perfectly in the garage.

I'm guessing that it's something with the main closey-hinges that needed lubrication last month, or something about the latch itself that falls and blocks the closure. I need to tell Farmer H so he'll get right on that. In about 3 months.

In the meantime, I have a new routine when I get out of T-Hoe.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Three months? You mean he's doing things double-quick these days?

River said...

I figured right off the door latch isn't catching. You'll have to spend the next few months giving it the extra shove to latch it, until Hick comes up with "a plan".

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Yeah. It's like somebody lit a fire under him! Which is an interesting scenario...

***
River,
You might just become my default auto diagnoser!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

HeWho would fix it, ues he would. But if it required removing the door panel, he would leave that off and show me what to do if it happened again. It might be time to drive the newer vehicle and let Hick have his way with T-Hoe.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
We DID have another car many years ago where Farmer H removed the door panel to fix a window motor, and left it off.

I cannot let go of my vehicular pal T-Hoe! That would be tantamount to letting go of my ratty old baby blue sweatshirt!!!