Thursday, March 1, 2018

Technology Thwarts Mrs. HM Once Again

Yesterday morning, I was having a text conversation with Farmer H about why his Trailblazer was parked all willy-nilly cattywompus over by the chicken pen. Seems he'd tried to drive though the muddy front yard at an inopportune time.

Anyhoo...he asked about our phone bill, and if the discount from Genius's work had ever been applied.

"Did that Sprint credit ever show up?"

"Yes, I told you when the bill came. That it was 15 percent off the base charge, not the whole bill. Miser!"

"You didn't tell me that!"

"Yes I did. You were in the recliner, and I was on the couch. I said it didn't quite pay Genius's part, but close enough."

"Hmmm, I don't remember that."

"Shocker."

Okay. So late last night, I checked to see if Farmer H had sent me any messages, and discovered that the line about the phone bill was not there. I'd mistakenly sent it to GENIUS!

"As you might have deduced yesterday...I thought I was texting Dad. He was texting me at the same time yours came in. My apologies for the tone. Indeed, I had NOT told you about the discount. Which I think is around $23.00 or a little less."

Within seconds, I had a return text.

"So am I expected to start contributing to my cell phone bill?"

"No. That discount you got us covers most of it."

"Great, that can go to my car insurance bill that's now $800 for six months!"

"Welcome to OUR life since you turned 16. And be glad you're over 21 now. That made it cheaper."

"It was only $550 before I left your group policy!"

"It used to be as astronomical as The Pony's."

"Well, it certainly isn't cheap anymore."

"At least you are earning more than I ever did per year!"

Yeah. I think Genius will be okay. He won $20 on a scratcher I sent him, too.

I really need to pay more attention to those texts. One of these days, my faux pas is going to bite me in the butt.

2 comments:

River said...

Car insurance isn't cheap, that's for sure. Makes me glad I don't drive or even own a car.
Genius will get used to forking over hard earned cash for things that aren't enjoyable as well as the things he likes.
Ha Ha on your blooper :)

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
It's especially ridiculous for teenage male drivers! I'm pretty sure Genius is really thinking about how much alcohol that money could buy.

This is not the first (and I'm sure not the last) time that I've made a fool of myself with texting the wrong person. One morning on parking lot duty, I noticed that Genius wasn't at school yet, and sent him a text telling him that I loved him, and to drive safely. My best ol' ex-teaching buddy Mabel texted back that she loved me too, and that she WOULD be careful! Although she prefaced it with: "Don't think this is for me..."