Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Times Like This, I Really Miss The Pony

Even though The Pony insisted on riding in the back passenger seat, directly behind me while I was driving T-Hoe...he was still a good companion during all my running around and commuting to work. In his later years, he could be trusted to pump my gas, and put air in my tires. Washing the windows, not so much. He was kind of sloppy with that dripping squeegee. I figure that he has never cleaned his own car windows the whole time he's been away at college.

Anyhoo...on Monday I noticed that T-Hoe's front right tire was low. It needs 35 pounds of air, and had only 27. T-Hoe has sensors that tell me the pressure. Well...they would, if Farmer H would get my car repaired like I wish. I think the guy told him it would cost $5 or $10 per tire to do it. I don't remember his excuse. I would gladly have paid that out of my gambling bankroll if given the choice. But Farmer H just declined that service.

I DID notice that after checking on it, my sensors worked, but showed the front tires as the back tires, and the back tires as the front tires. I figured that out with the help of The Pony, since he could put in air while I looked at the dash gauges, and match up which tire went with which reading. So as long as I remember they're all cattywompus, I can figure out my tire pressure.

Anyhoo...I didn't have the preferred option of getting my tire air at Casey's on Monday, because the Casey's went out of business. I couldn't wait until I got back to The Gas Station Chicken Store, because they have that sign that demands a dollar for air if you don't buy your gas there! I didn't know where the air hose was at Waterside Mart. So I ended up at the Original Waterside Mart, which is now in a new building up on a hill, not beside the river.

Rain was coming down, more than a drizzle, less than a deluge. If only I'd had The Pony to hop out and trot around with that air hose! But no. I had to do it for myself. And I couldn't check on the progress of the pressure. Even though Mrs. HM is a multi-tasker, even SHE cannot be in the driver's seat at the same time she's bent over a tire, showing her ample rumpus to passing traffic.

This Original Waterside Mart had the most original air hose nozzle that I'd ever seen. Not just a rounded metal part on the end of the hose. It was a long metal stalk, with a branching-off short metal stalk on the side. Like it had a broken-off slingshot arm grafted to the side. I used the part at the end of the nozzle, since it was easier to maneuver. My air went in without incident. I put the cap back onT-Hoe's valve stem, and draped the hose back on its pole. I figured that I'd check the pressure when I left there, while I was on the way to the bank.

The tires felt all bouncy and invigorated when I pulled out, even though I'd only put air in one. Imagine my surprise when I pushed the button to read the tire pressure, and saw that this tire now had 49 POUNDS OF AIR in it! Even The Pony would realize that 49 is TOO MUCH! Sweet Gummi Mary! I was worried that I'd hit a bump, and that tire would blow me sky-high!

I couldn't find a place to stop and let some out. I ended up at the park where I used to meet my Mom and drop things off when I was on the way to the bank. Things like leftover fried rice, black bananas, used tabloids, and occasionally, The Pony for a sleepover. I climbed down and used the valve stem cap to let some air out. Got back in and started up T-Hoe to check. Still had 42 pounds! I let out some more. And STILL had 39 pounds of air in that tire.

I went on to the bank, where I was 4th in line at the ATM. I thought about getting out to release some air (heh, heh) but figured that as soon as I bent over, the line would pull up, and the car behind me would honk. So I did my business and went to the lesser Casey's for some scratchers, and let the air out there. That left me with 37 pounds, which I figure will slowly leak out until it matches the left front tire, with 33.

It's days like this that I really, really miss The Pony. I only remember the ways he made my life easier. Which is kind of the opposite of how I remember Genius...

3 comments:

River said...

this reminds me I need to know how much pressure my bicycle tyres are supposed to have. First I need to get new tyres of course, that bike is sitting in the shed gathering dust.
Kids are handy to have around when you need something, maybe you could borrow one whenever your tyres need air.

Anonymous said...

Poor little empty nester!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I guess I could always borrow HOS's boy, once school is out for the summer...

Good luck getting that bicycle up and running!

***
fishducky,
I know! You'd think I'd be over it by now. Genius has been out of the house for FIVE YEARS! And The Pony for TWO. Maybe it's something you never really get over. I think it would be easier if they weren't so far away. Sis's kids are just down the street, and she sees hers all the time.