Thursday, August 30, 2018

Mrs. Hillbilly Mom's Feet Stink

There. I said it. My feet stink. Not stink, as in, they don't do the job I expect of them. Stink, as in they smell really bad! Now that I think of it, they also are not doing the job I expect of them. But it's not really their fault.

You may recall that I always have some sort of major malady befall me when I least expect it. And since we returned from The Pony visit, my left ankle has been giving me fits. It seems to be a continuing problem from last December, when we went to Genius's graduation, and I traipsed all over blacktop campus to take pictures with him, in shoes that were not designed for traipsing.

NOW I KNOW WHAT IS WRONG!

I have posterior tibial tendinitis! No, I didn't go to the doctor nurse practitioner. Are you crazy? I found out on the innernets! I have every symptom! Pain. Swelling. Lack of stability. Trouble lifting my heel. And I fit most the checklist items for people who commonly develop it. I'm old, female, overweight, have high blood pressure, and wore shoes without arch support.

Anyhoo...since the prognosis is not very promising, I've been trying to follow some of the self-treatment tactics. I don't have a walking boot like a doctor nurse practitioner might prescribe, but I AM being careful not to walk around barefoot. Do you know how hard that is for me? The only time I ever wear shoes is when I go to town. But now, I'm trying to always wear shoes, unless sleeping.

Therein lies the problem.

The pair of shoes that makes my foot feel best is probably about 10 years old. I daresay it might predate my ratty old baby blue sweatshirt. This pair of shoes used to be my walking shoes. They are wide and stable, and I've replaced the insoles a couple of times due to wear. They have very little okay NO cushioning left. BUT there seems to be really good arch support for my left foot. I kind of clomp around in it like it's a Frankenstein boot. A normal stride is not possible as yet. But I'm virtually pain-free as long as I clomp around in that shoe.

I confess to keeping that left shoe on, but taking off the right shoe. Because it's really not that comfortable on my good foot, since while I was favoring the left foot, my right knee got out of whack. So I sometimes wear a different shoe on the right foot. Around the Mansion, of course. Not out in public. Yet.

Anyhoo...here's the deal. Those shoes are very old, and they STINK! I swear I can smell my feet when I'm just sitting around. It's not pleasant, but it is virtually pain free. Seems like my innernets told me that a walking boot is usually recommended for 3 weeks. So I figure I'm going to have stinky feet for a while longer.

6 comments:

River said...

Can you wash the shoes? Are they a sneaker type that you can toss in the machine then hang out to dry? And just FYI, most insoles can be washed also. What about charcoal infused insoles to absorb some of the odour? What about a new pair of exactly the same shoes? Or two pairs so you can wear and air? And keep doing the stretching exercises.
It isn't wise to wear a different style shoe on each foot, even though you may feel okay, you may actually be just unbalanced enough to put your hips a little off kilter.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I can try giving them a wash, but I'll be without that Frankenstein boot for my sore foot while that happens! I don't wear the two different shoes all day. I keep the Frankenstein boot (an old gray New Balance) on the left foot as I travel around the Mansion. When I'm down in my lair, I wear its mate on the right foot.

However, upstairs, I wear an Asics right shoe, from the ones I walk in. Or a Croc. Or a different New Balance. Just as long as I have a shoe, so that leg isn't two inches shorter! It's a short term fix for intermittent traipsing. I go up and down the 13 steps with only the Frankenstein boot, because having a shoe on the right foot hurts my right knee. The right leg does all the work, so I can protect the left ankle. Not a regular stride up and down, but the right leg lifting or lowering.

At night, I keep my newest Crocs beside the bed. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes when just walking to the bathroom. The innernets were right about not going barefoot with this ailment! I might have a chance to heal up over the next month or so.

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon!! I would hate to have an ailment that required me to wear shoes.

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
Thanks! I really don't mind wearing the shoes so much, because IT MAKES THE PAIN LESS!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

My favorite shoes are my Dawgs. I stand on a concrete foundation all day when I am not following the mower. My feet are wide and short. The shoe is wide through the toe area. They are thick soled and cushy. Actually sandals, I wear them around the house year round with socks if my feet are cold. I like them so much that I have a pair in every color available. Drives my girls crazy, my choice of footwear.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I totally understand having a pair in every color!