Saturday, October 13, 2018

Mrs. HM's Not-Very-Terrible Tater

Farmer H wanted chicken and dumplings for supper Wednesday night. Oh, not the real thing! What do you think I am, some kind of backwoods Michelin chef? No siree, Bob! I take every shortcut possible. I am like the Rosie Ruiz of cooks.

So I made Farmer H my poor-man's chicken and dumplings. Not poor, as in monetarily challenged. Poor, as in pitiful, a sad sack whose wife won't make him real chicken and dumplings. This kind might be called 6-can chicken and dumplings. Two cans of chicken broth, two cans of cream of chicken soup, and two cans of white-meat chicken. Plus a pack of flour tortillas, cut into squares, added after the 4 liquid cans are boiling, then stirred for 5 minutes. Chicken is added after. Oh, and I always put in a lot of ground black pepper, and some minced garlic while boiling.

Anyhoo...this isn't about Farmer H! It's about ME! I'm not a big fan of poor man's chicken and dumplings. I ate it Wednesday night, because it was hot and ready. But I did not want it again on Thursday, even though Farmer H was looking forward to his leftovers. I decided to have a Terrible Tater. That's a large baked potato, covered with butter, sour cream, and barbecued pulled pork. I didn't name it. That was from a restaurant that has since gone out of business. Go figure! Who WOULDN'T be clamoring for a menu item called The Terrible Tater?

I had a bag of giant baking potatoes, but I didn't want to go whole hog on this tater. Wise choices, you know. So I chose the smallest of the giant potatoes, which was about 1.5 times the size of a normal potato. I left off the butter, because who needs that many different flavors? I put on a thin layer of sour cream, then my BBQ pulled pork, which came out of a tub that I bought at Save A Lot in the refrigerated section.

Yeah. My Terrible Tater wasn't real big. And was topped with just sour cream and BBQ pulled pork. So you might say it was just a Naughty Tater. Not terrible.

4 comments:

River said...

I haven't had a baked potato in years. There used to be a "Murphy's Spuds" van at the market in the city and we'd get a baked potato each after buying a grain silo's worth of fruit and veg for all of us each week, but 'Murphy' moved on and for a while we tried baked potatoes from the food court at the other end of the market but they were never as good.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
We used to get our original Terrible Tater from a place called Wild Wings. NOT the chain restaurant, but a locally owned one. It burned down, and they opened again in town rather than on the outskirts. THEN a chain Buffalo Wild Wings came to town, and our place went out of business. It's a shame.

Anonymous said...

I love baked potatoes with butter and/or sour cream, bacon, cheese veggies in them or even plain. I like them sliced (cold) the next day with butter!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
I'll pass on the butter, because I think it gets overpowered by other flavors, and it's extra calories for no payoff. I'll have it alone on a baked potato, though. WARM, not cold! Cheese and some steamed broccoli might be good on a baked potato.

The cold sliced baked potato with butter must be an acquired taste. Like the green bean sandwiches on Wonder Bread that my mom so enjoyed. WARM!