Saturday, October 27, 2018

The Fifth Son

Thursday morning, I was just getting out of bed when the phone rang. No, it wasn't some telemarketer or electioneer calling too early. The time was after 10:00, and the caller was our neighbor Tommy. The 58-year-old guy whose mom died, who we gave a car, and helped find work.

Tommy didn't leave a message, so I figured he was calling Farmer H's cell phone. Farmer H finally got him in that habit, after weeks of me relaying the call, and Farmer H calling Tommy back on his landline. Tommy doesn't have a cell phone.

Anyhoo...about 10 minutes later, I saw Farmer H driving the TrailBlazer up our gravel road to Tommy's house, which is across the road and one house to the right. A couple minutes later, the Trailblazer went back down the gravel road, I assumed to turn in to the BARn field, from whence it had come. But no. BACK toward Tommy's house went the TrailBlazer about five minutes later.

Farmer H later explained that Tommy's car battery was dead. Farmer H went to jump it, but had the wrong jumper cables, so came back for a different set. He said Tommy was worried that if he shut off the car, it would be dead again. He asked if Farmer H could come back if needed. Farmer H said that no, he was not going to be on call for Tommy, but that if he was around, he WOULD come back.

"I told him just to leave it running. He can do that for about an hour. It won't hurt anything."

"He might not be able to afford the gas."

"He says he's still working full time, but that one week he only got 36 hours, not 40. I told him to go to The Devil's Playground for a battery, but he went to the guy in town. I told him it's cheaper at The Devil's Playground, and Tommy said, 'But the guy in town will hold my check until the end of the week when I get paid.' So I guess that's a good enough reason."

Farmer H also added: "I swear. Sometimes I think Tommy is my fifth son!"

4 comments:

River said...

I'm pleased to hear that Tommy is still holding his job. Hick's right though, he almost is a fifth son. You two are good neighbours for him. Imagine if Tommy lived near people who didn't care?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Tommy is actually doing better than we expected on his own. I feel like we probably missed his 59th birthday, but acknowledging it would be kind of creepy.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I know exactly how he feels! My camp worker (wife) has a brother who is mentally challenged. Alex just had his 59th birthday, but is around 10 years old in his mind. He wants to do all the things he is incapable of doing, but still has temper tantrums. Alex lives with his brother, Kevin (my wife), but the older brother has guardianship. Terry and his wife live here, too. Alex has become the child of the park. He can do some chores and do a good job, but some things are just beyond him. We let him gather and bag all the aluminum cans and then he gets whatever money they bring. He does a great job with that, but he can't clean a bathroom to my liking. He has taken a liking to me and comes into the office daily to tell me how many cans he has so far and then what he will be doing that particular day. Drives me a little batty if I am in the midst of something. Poor guy has heart problems and is a severe diabetic. Everybody in the park is aware and we all know what his blood sugar readings are! He has been known to sneak sweets, too. He is a challenge!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
We thought that was the deal with Tommy at first, right after his mom died. But he seems to be more on the autism spectrum, just not planning ahead or considering consequences or reading social cues with people. We are thrilled that he has been able to hold this job, and pay his expenses. That $1000 car for him was one of the best investments we ever made! I hope it holds together a while longer.