Sunday, February 17, 2019

A Chili Day In Hillmomba

Good thing I got to the store ahead of the storm! Snow began in earnest around 1:20, just as predicted. Here's how it was coming down!


And here's 5/6 of Juno. She was not so impressed.


She's not a very good poser, either!

Anyhoo... after Save A Lot, I also went to The Devil's Playground. Me and about eleventy-billion other people trying to get ahead of the storm. I had to park on the last row, and almost all the way at the top of the lot. I was hoping I got out before the ground got covered, because we can't have Mrs. HM breaking a hip and being put in a nursing home by Farmer H. The schools were out, due to the forecast, and every woman had two or more kids with her. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just prefer to shop when the stores are childless.

I'd have skipped The Devil altogether, but Farmer H needed his soda and water. I picked up a few extras while I was there, like fabric softener sheets, and Puffs With Lotion, and two cans of baby corns, two cans of water chestnuts, broccoli/carrot/cauliflower mix, a bag of beer-battered fish, and a pack of hot dog buns. Oh, and some mini boxes of cereal for snacks.

On the soda aisle, I encountered a mom with a little toddler girl sitting down in the basket, almost covered with groceries, and a single-digit son standing on the end of the cart. The mom was getting some six-packs of Mountain Dew. The boy said, "Oh, soda for Daddy!"

The mom chuckled. "You sure ain't gettin' any of this, Mister!" Heh, heh! I knew EXACTLY what she meant! Even though it's been about 15 years since THE INCIDENT, I still remember when my sister the ex-mayor's wife snuck some Mountain Dew to The Pony after Thanksgiving Dinner. We still try not to speak of the mayhem, and Sis now ASKS if The Pony can have some, even though he just turned 21 last week.

Anyhoo... the snow piled up overnight, and I didn't even try to get to town on Saturday. Farmer H volunteered to bring me a 44 oz Diet Coke from Orb K (I still haven't paid him yet, heh, heh), and said the roads were all covered, even parts of the interstate. Of course he was out and about in 4WD SilverRedO. His barber didn't show up to open the shop, so Farmer H went to Goodwill over in Bill-Paying Town, where he said he was one of two customers.


Farmer H thinks we got about 4 inches.


Juno is still not impressed. She will creep her nose past the door jamb, but she will not come into the house. Not that I would bring her in, of course... That is forbidden by Farmer H. Juno is licking her snout, as if she psychically (heh, heh, first I typed spychically) anticipated the chili I would start cooking two hours later.

Almost as if she knew there was grease bread in her future.

4 comments:

River said...

What's the problem with Mountain Dew? Too much sugar? Or a colour additive? My #3 child, the placidest girl you ever met, had a bit of a frenzy after drinking coca cola at age two. Seems the red food colouring set her off. We switched to pepsi, which uses caramel colouring. She's 42 now and has gone back to coke, but the diet kind and often the caffeine free diet kind.
Snow is very pretty to look at, but I feel for Juno who can't get in where it's warmer. I know she has blankets in her house and probably one to cover her doorway, but still, a real house with food cooking seems a better option.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The problem with Mountain Dew is the CAFFEINE! It has more than regular colas, but I don't remember how much more. The Pony gets a little buzzed on regular Coke, but not nearly as bad as Mountain Dew. My mom used to give him caffeine-free Diet Coke at her house. That's what she drank. I guess he didn't cause any problems on that!

Juno doesn't like being inside. We had to drag her in the basement during a tornado headed right for us. Our old dog Grizzly would come in and lay down and be calm. Poor Dumb Ann would whimper, but behave herself. Juno was anxious and hyper. This was before we had Jack.

Juno WILL go inside the BARn with Farmer H. Even though he's locked her in there several times for 24 hours! She just doesn't like the house. She really likes her grease bread, though. The stale bread I use to soak up hamburger grease while it's cooking. I even served it to her inside her house!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Juno's twin will occasionally refuse to go outside, but she is quite content to be an indoor dog! All my animals are indoor animals and spoiled rotten. I am sick of this weather!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Jack was ALL WET today! Temps around 32, and the snow partially gone, but he's out being a dog, running through the woods! The sun was bright. I'm hoping he and Copper Jack stretched out on the front porch in the afternoon sun to dry out. My Jack has that heeler undercoat, though, so maybe the fur next to his skin wasn't even wet.