Tuesday, May 7, 2024

The Pony Proposes A New Burger Flavor

Since The Pony discovered his freezer ajar last weekend, he had to buy fresh food. He got some hamburger to cook, not to freeze. The Pony took the time to go to the Devil's Playground, though I, myself, do not like their meat. They inject it with saline, which increases the price per pound, since it adds weight. And when I cook the hamburger, there is bubbly water excreted from the meat, not just the smooth fat, which I soak bread in for the dogs. 

Anyhoo, The Pony sent me pictures of his new recipe. The hamburger actually looked pretty good.


The first step was to season the meat. The Pony likes his seasonings.


I don't know what The Pony added. Probably some garlic salt and garlic powder for sure. Next, The Pony patted out four burgers. Two to eat, and two to save for the next night.


The Pony only cooked two burgers in his frying pan, wrapping the other two in the foil.

The cooked burgers looked like this. 


The Pony likes his burgers rare. But wait! It's not just a plain burger! The Pony added a crunchy element to the bottom bun.


I didn't know they made a garlic pepper version! I have a bag that's Best Choice. Also a generic version like The Pony's. But mine just say "Fried Onions." They ARE a great salad topper. Farmer H likes them on green beans.

Are you ready? Here comes The Pony's secret ingredient.


It's Crab Rangoons! I picked up a big box of them at Save A Lot, from the freezer section. We used to have them a lot when The Pony was living here when college sent him home when they shut down campus due to The Virus in spring of 2020. The Pony had been dreaming of making a burger topped with Crab Rangoons. He will change his approach in the future.

"It was good. Next time I might do some surgery and bite off the crispy edges, or stack two in opposite ways so there's a filling pouch on both burger sides. Since they didn't squeeze out and spread like I expected."

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. At least The Pony has become an adventurous eater, rather than sticking to chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and noodles with butter.

4 comments:

River said...

I don't think I have ever patted out burgers from just meat and seasonings. I do what my parents always did and mix in a beaten egg and some seasoned stuffing mix. I guess it was their way of making a little bit of meat stretch to feed the family.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That's what I do for meat loaf. I add torn-up pieces of bread, an egg or two, some powdered onion soup mix, and Worcestershire sauce and steak sauce. But for hamburgers, I just use the meat to make patties.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Maybe he will become a great chef!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
At least The Pony can feed himself! He might like being a chef, since no loose dogs would be running around the kitchen to chomp on him!