Monday, September 5, 2011

This Is Just A Little Peyton Place And They're All Hillmomba Valley Hippocrats

We are heading toward night #4 of my three-day weekend with no sleep. None to speak of, anyway. None that I can remember.

This cold virus is the gift that keeps on taking. I am OH SO TIRED. But when I lay me down to sleep, the effort is fruitless. The snot trickles down the back of my throat to make me cough. Or the congestion in my lungs causes a series of wheezy whistles as I try to exhale. It's like a panpipe symphony in there. With bagpipe accompaniment.

I have spent three hours in bed all weekend. Then I have to get up and sit in the recliner to catch my breath. After about an hour, I can fall asleep there.

A holiday weekend is a terrible time to go without prescription cough medicine. But you can't really call the doctor on Friday with a sore throat and no cough to ask for some. Saturday around 5:00, my mom casually mentioned that there was a new critical care facility ten minutes from the Mansion, open from 9:00 to 4:00 on Saturdays. Thanks. Good to know for the next holiday weekend that I have a cough.

I think I'll stand outside on the sidewalk tomorrow on my plan time and see if my doctor will call in a prescription. Funny how my cell phone won't work inside the building. I can't call from the school phone because it's long distance. I'm sure the art, anatomy, and chemistry classes on that side of the building will enjoy being all up in my bidness. I hope those students will be good little Hippocrats and not do any harm by mentioning my medical history.

2 comments:

labbie1 said...

I totally feel for you! Some states allow you to approach the friendly pharmacist and ask for codeine cough syrup which you then sign for without a prescription. Not sure if your state allows that. Might be something to look into.

I might mention netti pots again--but I know your thoughts on waterboarding, so pretend I didn't even mention it. K?

I am thinking of your wheezing, rasping, snot induced coughing tired body having to make it through the day tomorrow!

Hillbilly Mom said...

labbie,
I don't think we can do that here. Anyway, codeine puts me to sleep, so I can only take it at bedtime. Which would at least mean that I got some sleep. I got a good four hours last night, so I was good until around 5:00 p.m. Then I lost my charge like a cell phone in a low-signal zone.