Thursday, April 11, 2013

Apples To Oranges And Aphids To Ants

If you're a teacher, or want some insider knowledge of what goes on in the trenches, check this out.

This is the state of public education today. I don't presume to speak for all educators. Or even for the ones in my own building. But this article mirror my sentiments. It's not the fault of my district. I am very happy to be where I am. But the public education process has grown more flawed as every year passes.

We teachers are but aphids to the ants who rule the schools. They feed on the efforts of our labor, in exchange offering us the security of a means of support from year to year. Until now. They still want to slurp up our nectar, while laying a foundation to yank the support from under our six feet.

Let us teach more than the test. Let us prepare students for life. Do not base our worth on a 35-question multiple choice test given once during the third year of high school. That's what my job depends on. My end-of-course biology test results. Some years, I am a genius. Other years, I am an imbecile. Funny how my performance fluctuates so wildly.

How about we pass a measure that assigns student grades based on how many texts I can send during class without getting caught?

Fair is fair, right?

2 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Amen.

Thanks for the link. Everything Turner said was true.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
And getting truer every day.