Saturday, June 24, 2017

This Is A Test. This Is Only A Test.

I've got something for you, people! From yesterday's quest for a 44 oz Diet Coke.


See them there? Look closely, to the left of that pole. You can't see them very well because they're camouflaged by nature.

It's TWIN FAWNS!

Uh huh. There I was in T-Hoe, tooling down the gravel road, one bend away from EmBee on the county blacktop road...and these two little cuties paraded across the gravel behind their mom or older sister. That doe wasn't very big. She was smart, though, and blended right into the foliage. These young 'uns lagged behind. Stood right in the middle of the road, looking at me.

Of course I stopped. Deer usually don't wait around for you to take their picture. But the longer they lingered, the more I toyed with the idea of trying to shoot them. I picked up my cell phone and cursed my bug-spotted windshield. At least this first picture shows both of them.

One of the fawns wised up and went into the woods, but the other one stood there facing me. Flicking its ears forward. Took a step towards the woods. Flicked its cottony white tail up and down. I let T-Hoe creep closer and took a couple more pictures. I couldn't see the fawn at all in my phone. Just took a chance I might catch something that I could see on a big monitor.


There! If you lean in and squint, or if you have a phone that lets you zoom in on that picture, you can see a baby deer butt going into the woods. Too bad the cottony white tail was in the downflap.

Yes, I know that city people don't appreciate the deer. That they're like urban rats who eat away at yard stuff. But out here, if we're not licking our lips and thinking how delicious they are as jerky or slow-cooked in a crock pot with BBQ sauce...we're admiring their grace and beauty.

Hope you passed this eye test.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Deer ARE beautiful. Do I like deer jerky? No HM, I do not like that, pill that I am.

Anonymous said...

I see them!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
So I shouldn't serve you deer jerky alongside your green eggs and ham?

***
fishducky,
You pass! You get an 'A' on your eye test! Congrats! You might just make Vision Valedictorian one of these days!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I see them, too. We have a tenant in the back row, in the woods. He plants corn and watermelon to feed the deer. They are often seen on the back road of our property. The road will wash out in rain, but we are about to add some sites and the road will be built up for daily use. I doubt the deer will stop coming around, since they have a benefactor. I don't care for the flavor of the meat.

Hillbilly Mom said...

They are also dangerous crossing the road, but so beautiful leaping over a fence. They are like nature's Sour Patch Kids. You have to deal with the bad to enjoy the good.

I think the best tasting deer I had, in the jerky and the BBQ, didn't exactly taste like deer. Does that make sense? It could have been beef, because the texture and the flavor was so good. Beef. Not as beautiful leaping a fence.