Monday, March 19, 2018

Mrs. Hillbilly Mom Has Been Taxed To The Limit

Woe is Mrs. Hillbilly Mom. She spent 2.5 hours working on her taxes last night. Oh, it's not as bad as those days when you had to pick up your forms at the post office. Or write and request them by mail, if the Feds or the state didn't send you the forms you had used last year. No, this modern age of the innernets makes it all so much easier. Or DOES it?

I used TurboTax. It walks me through, step by step, and I can file my taxes easy peasy. This year, I even splurged on the Premier level, because I thought I would be doing Genius's taxes again, and he has stocks, and Premier would be more helpful with that. Alas, Genius has cut the cord, flown the coop, left the fold, and wanted to do his own taxes. I recommended TurboTax to him, and he downloaded it from Amazon, and started it within minutes.

I'm an old-fashioned kind of gal, and prefer mine on CD. The Devil's Playground has apparently sold its soul to H&R Block, and there was nary a CD of TurboTax to be found there this year. Believe me. I searched two Playgrounds. I wonder if H and R know they've made a deal with The Devil.

Anyhoo...I ordered mine from Amazon, had it in two days, and let it lay around until last night. I started working on it around 11:00, and was done with the Income and Deductions sections shortly after 1:00 a.m. I figured I should call it a day. Or night. Or actually DAY. So I closed out of TurboTax to shut down New Delly. Of course I was prompted with whether I wanted to save. I always save the final draft of my return. But since this one was partial, I didn't see any need to clog up my computer and confuse myself further.

You know what happened, right?

TurboTax did not save my info. There was no way to get it back. I tried. Tried their website for solutions. Tried my RECENT PLACES on New Delly. Nope. All I could get was the 2016 return. I had to start again, completely from scratch.

It only took an hour and 15 minutes to re-enter all that information. Because I had the documents at hand, and I HAD JUST FREAKIN' DONE IT!

I'm pretty sure that somehow, this is all Farmer H's fault.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Thank goodness that you have nothing but time. Thank goodness you have hours and hours and hours, seven days a week, to fill. Thank goodness you are able to take a break from eating bonbons and painting your TOEnails to do such mundane stuff as re-enter info...

River said...

ALWAYS SAVE when prompted, even partial work. ALWAYS SAVE.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Oh, you silly Madam! There are no bonbons here. Just PEEPS! In a variety of colors now! Yellow. Blue. Purple. Pink.

I do not paint my toenails, but this morning I trimmed one. ONE. Because I have to spread out the task, lest I run out of things to do.

***
River,
I WILL do that from now on. I thought I knew better.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Would you like to see a picture of my toes? I know how big of a foot fetish you have...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
No siree, Bob! No picture is necessary. I have the REVERSE of a foot fetish. I have an ANTI-FOOT fetish.