Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Mrs. Hillbilly Mom, The Hero

Here she comes to save the day!

Mrs. HM rode in on her white horse behind the wheel of her black T-Hoe Monday, to save an old lady from a world of hurt. Not physical harm. FINANCIAL harm!

I had loaded my weekly Devil's Playground groceries in T-Hoe's rear, and given my cart to a man walking by who asked if he could have it, to lean on for support. So make note, people, that's TWO good deeds for Mrs. Hillbilly Mom in the span of five minutes!

Anyhoo...I backed T-Hoe out of the parking space (third from the end), taking precautions not to run over the old lady pushing her cart to the end, to leave it next to a yellow concrete pole. I kept her in my sights, even though a red pickup had also backed out after me, and was driving behind me to the stop sign.

WAIT A MINUTE! Something was in that old lady's cart! And she was back to her car, rounding the tail light. I scrolled T-Hoe's squeaky window down, and stuck my head out.

"MA'AM? MA'AM! Did you leave your purse in the cart?"

Indeed. Her large purse was still sitting in the child seat part of the cart. It was almost bigger than a child. A very wide, not tall, floppy beige child. With straps and buckles. It looked like leather. Or maybe pleather. Not all stiff like vinyl.

"Oh. Maybe I did. Thank you."

I kept T-Hoe idling there, as I watched that lady walk past three cars to the cart.

"Yes. That's it. Thank you again!"

Uh huh. That's how we do it in Hillmomba. Honesty is the best policy. Look out for your fellow woman. At least that's how we old whippersnappers do it.

3 comments:

River said...

That's very nice of you, not to notice and then tell her, anyone would, but to also stay and make sure she gets the purse. I remember years ago, the many, many times I would remind shoppers to keep an eye on their purses and not leave them open to temptation while shopping, yet far too many women still did just that and were soooo surprised when thieves would take something from it or just take the whole purse. "But I only turned away for one second!" uh-huh, that's all it takes.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Oh, are you going soft on us? Are you serving up some soft-serve schmaltz?

Puh-lease. I come here for snark. I come here for snipe. I don't come for poignant tales.

Get your blog back on track, or I'll take my readership away. And I'll take your pretty black dog with me...

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
She was quite appreciative, but I did not detect the sense of urgency that I assumed she would exhibit. It was kind of like, "Oh, yeah. Maybe I did." Then a lackadaisical stroll to check on it. I would have been frantic, but then again, I don't take my purse into the store anyway. Just my money or debit card in my pocket.

***
Sioux,
Don't fret, Madam. The shredding of Farmer H will continue shortly, with a vengeance!

My pretty black dog was barking her fool head off at 3:00 a.m. Haha! Foiled again, you wanna-be dognapper!