Sunday, February 16, 2020

Yielding Is Not Better Than Receiving

Sweet Gummi Mary! The GALL of some people simply amazes me.

Saturday, as I was returning from town, I stopped T-Hoe at the top of the hill that descends to the low water bridge that floods often. It was not flooded, but I saw a truck approaching from the road on the other side. It was pretty far away. I had time to get T-Hoe over the one-lane bridge with no sides before that truck got to it.

However...there is not much room to pass a vehicle on the road past the bridge. This was a full size gray pickup truck, towing a black closed trailer. You know the kind. Or maybe you don't. It's wider than a U-Haul trailer. The kind you can put 4-wheelers in. Or a dune buggy. Or lots of construction equipment. I didn't want to worry about getting T-Hoe's wheels off the pavement, or for that trailer to get off and tip over. There is no shoulder to that road. Just a ditch on each side. So I waited at the top of the hill, where I had room to pull over across the end of a driveway.

The gray pickup proceeded over the bridge, and up the curvy hill to pass me.

THE DRIVER DID NOT GIVE ME A COURTESY WAVE!

Can you believe that? I had gone out of my way to give him the right-of-way, and he couldn't even lift two fingers off the steering wheel for the courtesy wave? Not even a courtesy nod!

What was that driver thinking? That I was chicken to play chicken with him? That I was planning a heist on the house at the end of that driveway? That I'd stopped to pick up a bag of dog food from along the road? [That's another story.] That I lived at that house, and was parking my vehicle sideways? Taking in the view?

I DEMAND MY COURTESY WAVE!

Funny how being courteous to another driver can result in white-hot rage when your courtesy is not reciprocated. I hate it when I'm not appreciated for my magnanimosity...

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

If I let someone in, and they don't give me a wave, it makes me refuse to let a person in the next time an opportunity comes up.

Rude people have no reason to,
Rude people have no reason to,
Rude people have no reason to live.

You can finish the rest of the lyrics. You're gifted at it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I don't want no rude people 'round me!

Also, they have rudie-tudie eyes, and rudie-tudie legs...and I'm pretty sure they tell great big lies about GIVING ME A COURTESY WAVE! Not sure of the exactness without consulting my estranged BFF Google, but that's the gist of it. Not one of my favorites.

River said...

Courtesy waves are very much a thing if the past and very few people do it these days. An older or elderly man might have given you the wave, but anyone under 40 probably doesn't even know about it. I've just given you one from behind my screen here, hope it helps.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Aww...THANK YOU! This guy looked over 40. Maybe he was just an entitled butthead.