Sunday, May 24, 2020

Lies, Dang Lies, And Logistics

As Farmer H sat in his La-Z-Boy Saturday evening, there came a BE-BOOP on his cell phone. I swear, he has the most annoying tone set for incoming texts. The name of it is probably something like HM REPELLENT.

Anyhoo... Farmer H took a look and said,
"You won't believe what these crazy people want now."

I knew right away that he was talking about Backcreek Neighbor Bev, and her husband Nick. He has been doing odd jobs for them for a couple years now. They pay him well, and sometimes give him stuff they don't want, which he sells in his Storage Unit Store. But they are a little eccentric. A common theme being that one of them must be home at all times, because they think Crazy Stick-Road Man is going to get into their house if they leave it unattended for even five minutes. They've even paid Farmer H, and HOS's (Farmer H's Oldest Son's) daughter, to house sit.

Anyhoo... the request this time was for Farmer H to pick up Nick at the airport on Monday at 1:45. Let the record show that the airport is about an hour and forty-five-minute drive from the Mansion. So it would be almost a 2-hour trip there, and a 2-hour trip back for Farmer H.

Let's not forget that this is a holiday weekend. Monday is Memorial Day, and traffic on the highways Farmer H would travel to the airport would likely be heavier than usual. Not to mention the chance of drunken barbecue-ites and partiers being behind the wheel.

"I just don't feel like doing that. It would take my whole afternoon. Bev is capable of going to pick him up. It's not like one of them is sick and really needs the help. I do stuff for them all the time. But I don't want to do this."

"You shouldn't feel guilty. They asked. You can't do it. If they get mad, they get mad. You're not their servant."

"I could tell him that I'm taking my friend to the hospital that day. But it's a holiday. I'm going to say that I have plans with my son for family stuff on the holiday."

"Heh, heh. They might change his travel day to get your help."

"I hope not. I'll be busy then, too."

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Farmer H is slippery with the neighbors, just like he's slippery when it comes to doing things around the house.

However, he should not feel obligated to drive for four hours, when they have someone else who could drive. What do those folks have in their house, that they feel like they have to have it guarded at all times? Has Fort Knox moved to Missouri?

River said...

I agree he should not have to use up an entire afternoon, when Bev is quite capable of doing the job herself. all she needs is someone to babysit the house, but neither of you because you're doing family stuff with the boys. I should think that house is old enough to babysit itself by now.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
They were giving one of their vehicles to one of their adult children, who lives in a northern state. So Nick drove it there, and was flying back. Farmer H's idea was that one of them should have followed the other one in their second vehicle, so they could both visit, and then ride home together.

I don't know of anything valuable. I guess they suspect Crazy Stick-Road Man might booby-trap their house. Or burn it down. He DID call them Jews (they are Seventh-Day Adventists), and tell them that Hitler had the right idea, and hung a swastika facing their property. Thus the restraining order...

I don't think he'd mess with their house. He prefers to play mind games and bully them. They have cameras inside and out, hooked up by Farmer H.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Crazy Stick-Road Man has been smart enough to stay out of jail so far. I don't think he would destroy their house. There is plenty of surveillance to know if he was there while they were gone. So this is an inconvenience of their own making.