Friday, January 22, 2021

Cookin' With The Pony

Equal time for The Pony! This one involves actual cooking. Okay, not so much cooking, as the final product. Every now and then The Pony will make his own meals. Usually when we're having something he's not crazy about, or when he doesn't want to wait until I start supper around 6:30. The Pony generally eats one meal a day. So I understand how he must be chomping at the bit for me to put food on the marred coffee table.

Anyhoo... The Pony bought some gnocchi at The Devil's Playground a while back. It was in a see-through plastic bag, vacuum-sealed. It has been on the back of FRIG II's middle shelf for months. I told The Pony that he might need to throw it out and get more. The Pony snickered at the thought, and said haughtily,

"Do you even KNOW the expiration date on it? My gnocchi is still good for MONTHS!"

Well. Good to know that it didn't expire in 2001...

Anyhoo... The Pony made his meal round 3:30 or 4:00, after I went down to my lair. He sent me a text afterwards.

"Did most of my dishes from the pasta. The pans might need washed again, but I think they're fine and just need to dry."

That was a good deed. The Pony only used two saucepans, a colander, a glass plate, and a knife, fork, and spoon. From the looks of his plate, I don't want to know the shape the other utensils were in before washing!


As you can see, PLATING is not The Pony's strong point. I thought he might have taken the picture before wiping off that sauce. Then I noticed that this picture is of the plate on the marred coffee table, not on the cutting block where plating occurred.

The Pony doesn't worry about portion control! I shudder to think that the plate was all pretty when he brought it in, but that some gnocchis tumbled off his fork, left a splash of sauce, and then bounced ONTO MY CARPET! I did not dare raise this question. IF it happened, maybe the melted wax on the carpet prevented a stain!

You can see The Pony's PowerBall and MegaMillions tickets. He did not win. Also, there's his living-room cinnamon. He leaves it there for when he wants to shake it on buttered bread or rolls. I think it's actually a container in which he's mixed cinnamon and sugar.

So... no actual cooking here, but a look at what The Pony feasts upon. He's pretty messy when he straps on the feedbag.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Only one meal a day? He is an unusual young man. Most young men in their 20s tend to eat a bit more heartily (and frequently).

Where did he learn this one-meal-a-day habit?

River said...

That's about the same amount my sons would eat, but the younger son also eats lunch. Not sure if he eats breakfast everyday, but He does on weekends and days off, but usually around lunchtime on those days, so he probably skips lunch.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I'm sure he had mass quantities of garlic bread with it. He uses the long steak rolls, opening them up and slathering them with butter and minced garlic, heating them in the oven. He can usually eat five halves!

I think he learned the one-meal-a-day habit when he moved into his college apartment. Either making something, or ordering out, on days he wasn't on campus at lunch time to use his meal ticket. He'd much rather use his time to play computer games than cook or eat!

***
River,
The Pony will have a snack sometimes before his big meal. Maybe an individual bag of chips, or a leftover biscuit. He eats a lot at one meal, but not many meals!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I don't suppose he will ever be a contestant on a cooking show ....

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I just snorted at the thought of being served that plate in a competition or in a restaurant!