Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Water, Mother Nature's Scrub Brush

Remember that giant tree trunk that the county spent a lot of man-hours on, moving it from one side of the low water bridge to the other? Leaving those claw marks from the machinery that grabbed it? Here it was on December 5. 
 
 
It's been a constant on my drives to town. Always there. Until it wasn't.

We had a big rain Sunday night. The low water bridge was impossibly impassable for the whole day on Monday. The water level was 10-15 feet over the bridge. The county even came out with the yellow tape to block off the road. Not that we went that way. We can tell by the level of our own creek down by Mailbox Row when it would not be advantageous to attempt the regular route to town.

Tuesday, the flood had receded. I went the normal way, and found that tree gone!

 
Pardon my ratty masks. They're not blocking anything but a hard time from hard-core maskies. Anyhoo... you can see that there's no giant tree trunk in the creek. I even looked all the way down, as far as my eye and phone camera can see.
 
 
Nothing! That thing down there in the middle is not big enough. The water was up over those banks. Mother Nature sure can do some heavy lifting!

7 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

It almost sounds like that hunk of tree was an old friend... and now it's gone.

How about doing a "Sounds of Silence" parody about your old friend? That is, if you're in need of an idea for a post.

River said...

Aww, do you miss it? I think I'd miss it after having been able to look at it every time I passed by.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
WHAT? And betray Steve Miller Band and "The Joker?" Nope. I'm too lazy. Besides, I'd use Slip-Slidin' Away, but my old friend has already slip-slid out of sight.

***
River,
I DO miss it! I was used to it, and liked to see those big claw marks, and observe such an out-of-place gargantuan item there in the shallow water, knowing it had been helped across the bridge by a whole team of county workers and heavy equipment.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

It was a landmark for giving directions! I can hear my grandmother's voice now, "go past the old Bennett place and look for a big scarred up log in the creek and it's right past that". Of course, one would have to know where the old Bennett place was, too, but .....

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Oh my gosh, YES! When Farmer H and I lived in the apartment complex where we met (I had a townhouse, he had a one-bedroom apt) we had a friend who was an insurance adjuster. He said he got directions like, "Go down the gravel road until you pass the upside-down school bus. Turn left. Keep going until you see the telephone pole sticking out the door. That's our house."

It must have been one of those little bitty telephone poles, not the standard size along the road. He said they were BURNING it in their fireplace, and would shove it in farther as the end burned down! Farmer H said he was surprised the creosote used to coat those poles didn't cause a problem as it burned.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

OMG, they were burning a creosote pole inside! BAD for the lungs, so very bad! But, you gotta stay warm, I suppose!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I don't want to know what ELSE they might have been doing inside!