Genius said he still has contacts at his previous company (who sold his division to another company) who can get the 40% employee discount on their products. Unfortunately, they don't have a fenceless system. Only three kinds of collars for tracking and training hunting dogs.
I looked at a variety of products. One was over $1200! And still, it had complaints like it would sometimes shock the dog if it went under a carport roof. Nope! Not our Pepper. The Pony had also looked at a lot of products. The one we kept coming back to was the Halo 5 Collar.
It is not cheap! I think it was $575, but on sale for $75 off. And it has a subscription fee, for $9.99 a month, but we got the next higher level, which I think was $14.99 a month. Of course I also got a protection plan, because it's a DOG COLLAR, by cracky! And dogs lose collars, or they get chewed on by another dog. So this can get a replacement for way cheaper than a new one, or upgrade if a newer version is released. Anyhoo... by the time all these charges added up, we're in for about $700-$800.
I told Farmer H: "We'd probably have been just as well off to take $1000 cash across the road, and say, 'This is for the annoyance of having Pepper come to your house. Maybe this will make it a little easier to deal with.' I bet they would take it, and never say another word. But we'll give this collar a try, and hope it works."
"Yeah. They might have took it. We're already up to $500 for the vet and surgery. But I'm not tying up my dog. I kind of like little Pepper. It's not hurting us. We can afford it."
The Halo 5 Collar works on GPS coordinates. The main thingy is stored in the collar itself. So even if the wi-fi goes down, it will still work. It's designed for areas 3/4 of an acre or bigger. It's endorsed by the Dog Whisperer, Cesar Milan. Supposedly, with proper training, and the warning features, the dog might never even get a shock.
I told Farmer H: "I'm betting that Pepper will feel a shock!"
"Yeah. Me too. But he's been minding me pretty well now. And he comes when I call him."
"He doesn't bother the groceries on the chair. All I have to do is say, 'Pepper! NO!' and he walks away from the chair."
"Yeah. He's not stupid. He's growing up, and his operation helped."
The collar was delivered on Thursday. I'm taking it to The Pony, to see if he can get the coordinates set up while using faster internet in town. It will probably be Monday before Farmer H and The Pony can start training Pepper.
No comments:
Post a Comment