Monday, September 7, 2026

My New Best Friend

This is my new best friend. This little LED flashlight that is emblazoned with the name and phone number of our credit union. I don't even know where I got it. Other than from the credit union, of course! Maybe it was a door prize, or maybe Farmer H got it as a souvenir from the yearly dinner that he attends. All I know is that it rests in the little basket of odds and ends on the kitchen table, my makeshift office. 


When the power went off at 5:25 Saturday evening, I still had daylight through the kitchen windows, though subdued by the storm that caused the outage. I knew I had a little flashlight in that basket. I rooted through the pens and winning $2 and $3 ShowMe Cash draw tickets that I save for The Pony. There it was! A lifesaver for when darkness fell.

Oh, it was VERY dark. No moon because of the clouds. No light after 8:30, except the two solar lights on the porch rail. To navigate the Mansion, I needed this little flashlight. He worked like a champ. Bright enough to see. Small enough to drop into my shirt pocket when sitting in the dark, awaiting my next sortie to the bathroom.

Years ago, I ordered a bunch of little LED flashlights like this, in assorted colors, for the guys' stocking stuffers. I'm going to order some more for ME. To leave in each room. They're really handy when the power goes off, and they don't take up room like a big flashlight. They don't smell up the air like a cheap candle. And they don't run down your phone battery.

No comments: