Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Pony Says The Darndest Things



The citizens of Hillmomba know me as that crazy lady who drives around talking to herself. Any time they see me drive by, with my jaws jabbering, they assume I am conversing with me, myself, and I. But that’s not true. Behind T-Hoe’s tinted windows, and behind my driver’s seat sits The Pony.

I am used to this arrangement. More room on the shotgun seat for my purse. I am accustomed to talking to The Pony with one eye on the rearview mirror. At times, when the road is clear, I reach my hand back and pat The Pony’s leg. His wiry-hair-covered leg. Yesterday, I reached back with a bit of melancholy.

“What am I going to do when you’re off to college, and not here for me to pat your leg?”

Without missing a beat, The Pony said, “I could put in a prosthesis.”

Yeah. He’s quite literal, that Pony.

2 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Awwww, he is so considerate!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yes, always thinking of me, even when his plans involve a prosthesis covered with his shaved leg hair.