Tuesday, August 15, 2017

A Debater, Dog Shaver, Not A Credit Card Activator

Sunday, Farmer H trimmed most of the dusty matted tufts off my Sweet, Sweet Juno's back, and a large wad of green-burred fur off her chest.


His dogside manner probably precludes him from a career as a dog groomer, but his work is technically proficient. He also excels at debating. If winning is not a requisite outcome.

Also that evening, as I prepared his requested spaghetti supper, I told him that his new debit card needed to be activated. His expires at the end of the month, and we got a new one in the mail.

"I have my hands in the dishwater while I'm waiting on your food to cook. Do you want to call in this card and activate it before we forget?"

[Yes. Mrs. Hillbilly Mom washes dishes BEFORE supper, and then rinses the supper dishes and washes them the next day. Let ye who have dishwasher appliances not judge.]

"Oh. You want ME to do it?"

"Well, it can't be that hard. Just call in from our home phone, and push a couple of numbers."

"Nah. I'm going to the pharmacy tomorrow. I'll just use it there."

"But it won't be activated."

"I'll activate it there."

"Did you even read the instructions? I saw that the paper was unfolded, so I know you looked at it. Besides, you even asked me about it."

"Yeah. It says you can call it in or use it to activate it."

"You can do it online, call it in, or use it AT THE BANK FACILITY ATM."

"I'm pretty sure that I can activate it when I use it."

"Um...NO. That's why they call it ACTIVATING the card. Not just getting a new card and using it."

"As long as I use my PIN number, that activates it."

"Here. I'll do it when I go downstairs!"

"Whatever."

I'm pretty sure I'm the one who got outsmarted there.

So...I activated Farmer H's new debit card, and stuck the card back on the paper, and wrote beside it (no paper plate notes for Mrs. HM!):

"Your card is activated. HERE is your PIN."

Yes. I know that you should never write down a PIN. But I also know Farmer H. Even though he uses his debit card all the time, the fact that he had a NEW one would throw him off. I'd mentioned an OLD PIN when asking him about activating it. I have his written down in a safe place, just in case. Yet Farmer H agreed that evening that the OLD PIN is what it would be under. Nope. The automated bank nearly cut me off. So I grabbed my trusty note, and used the actual PIN that Farmer H uses now.

You know what happened, right? Farmer H got home from the pharmacy, and said his card didn't work.

"I thought you said you activated it."

"I left you a NOTE that I activated it."

"Yeah, you know what I mean. But the PIN didn't work."

"Did you get your medicine?"

"Yeah. She just ran it like a credit card."

"What PIN did you use?"

"I used [OLD PIN]."

"No, I WROTE THE PIN ON THE NOTE THAT SAID I ACTIVATED IT! RIGHT ON THE PAPER THE CARD WAS STUCK ON."

"Oh. I guess I didn't read it."

"What PIN do you always use?"

"[CURRENT PIN]."

"There you go. It will work. That's how I activated it."

I really could outsmart Farmer H if I wanted to.

11 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Does he dole out his own medication? HeWho has no idea what he takes. I have to interrogate him every few days to make sure he is following my instructions. I bet I could put placebos in place of his meds and he would never know.
Sweet, sweet Juno is so svelte! Our Toni Louise has packed on the weight. Her back is looking broad, even though I feed her the healthy weight formula.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Seven more days?

Tee hee.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
In fact, Farmer H DOES dole out his own medicine. He take a lot of it, too. I should probably get hold of his master list that he took on his trips to Sweden and Germany. He uses one of those long pill box thingies with snapping lids for the seven days. Puts them in for a week at a time. Every now and then, I find a couple on the bathroom floor. Actually, on the bottom of my FOOT on the bathroom floor. I guess he either is a pill short that day, or he dropped one and put another in its place.

Sweet, Sweet Juno benefits from a good camera angle! Oh, and black is so slimming! Of course that would help Toni Louise as well. I guess Juno runs it off while accompanying Farmer H on his Gator trips up to visit HOS. She even snacks every evening, you know!

***
Sioux,
Do you have a calendar that you X off to taunt me? Just remember, my pent-up rage will have to get a release somehow. Let's hope the air conditioner doesn't blow, and that the gas station chicken store keeps the Diet Coke flowing...

Sioux Roslawski said...

Watch "Fargo" again. You must have missed one of the final scenes...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Pretty much all I remember from Fargo are the accents, and the wood chipper. Watch it again? You seem to ASSUME I have nothing else to do all day! Oh, wait...

Sioux Roslawski said...

The wood chipper! Yeah, that was my favorite part.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I never would have guessed...

Anonymous said...

Seven days of (semi) freedom!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
I KNOW! I have 7 last hurrahs until I'm under Farmer H's thumb forever!

River said...

I think Farmer H was right this time, first use of a new card activates it, anywhere. That's the way it is out here anyway. And if it is on the same account, the PIN stays the same unless you personally want to change it, then you have to go to a bank ATM to do that.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
According to the instructions with this one, it had to be activated at the bank ATM, or on the phone. Not that Farmer H is known for going by the rules, of course.