Friday, November 16, 2018

Mrs. Hillbilly Mom, Heal Thyself

A part of my recent sickness involves a stuffy and sometimes painful ear when I swallow. It's like something needs to give. Poking my little finger in there, and trying to suction out whatever was stuffing up my ear canal, did nothing to alleviate the problem.

Nor did poking around inside there with the end of a cap from a red ink pen that sits on my dark basement lair desk. You know. Those plastic caps that cover the ball-point end. That stick-like part of it that clips onto your pocket. It didn't even feel particularly satisfying like when you sometimes get an ear-canal itch. No. I might even have made the stuffy-pain issue a tiny bit worse. Plus, it sounded like I was scraping the burnt off a piece of toast.

I probably shouldn't play a doctor or nurse-practitioner over the innernets. But then again, my treatment plan for the Posterior Tibial Tendonitis that I had in my left ankle has been a remarkable success! I can walk normally, without pain. Every now and then, like every night, mainly, I get a sharp shooting pain right there when I'm minding my own business, cooling my heels in my OPC (Old People Chair). It also hurts at night, if I get up without stretching it before standing on it. But I'd say that I've made a remarkable recovery.

I'm pretty sure I'll get over this cold, and the ear stuffy-pain, too. Just don't butter any toast around me for a while.

5 comments:

River said...

What's the name of that tube connecting your throat to your ear canal. Eustachian? Or something like that? That's where the blockage will be, not in the ear itself. The germs from your throat have set up a little nest and will be gone soon after your cold goes.

River said...

Also, do NOT poke around in your ear with sharp objects, you will be scarring the ear drum, which is never a good idea.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, I think you're right. It will be nice to have some of my balance back. I've been walking like Farmer H drives!

River 2,
Well, to be fair, it's a plastic lid from a ballpoint pen, and not an ice pick...but you're right about the sharp objects, too!

Anonymous said...

I've heard that you should never put anything smaller than your fist in your ear!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
I've heard that you should never put anything smaller than your ELBOW in your ear! I guess neither of us did, if we can still hear people giving that advice. Somebody needs to tell the Q-tip Cotton Swab company!