Tuesday, November 6, 2018

We Grow Complacent With Dependency On Technology

Farmer H would have no idea what that title was about. The truth is, that title is about HIM!

I was sitting at the end of the gravel road around noon on Monday, getting ready to clamber out of T-Hoe to get the mail, when I saw Farmer H's TrailBlazer coming down the hill. He stopped to chat. Not so much chat, as confess.

"I had a wreck."

"What? Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I backed into a truck at the repair shop. See? The tail light is busted. Mick the Mechanic has ordered a bulb for me. I left my insurance card with him. He's going to tell the guy who owns the truck. I'm not even claiming ours on insurance. We have a $500 deductible, anyway."

Here's the thing. There was no reason for Farmer H to even be at the repair shop. We've had work done on our vehicles there, and Farmer H likes to shoot the bull with the proprietor. I guess that's what he was doing there. Imagine being the owner of that truck, who took it to get worked on, and then finds out that it's now been in a wreck!

Farmer H can't see out of his left eye. He's had plenty of time to get used to this fact, and adjust. Let the record show, he could only see out of one eye when he took his driver's test at 16, since that injury happened at 14. He has no restrictions on his driver's license. But he DOES like that back-up camera in A-Cad. I can't use it, myself. Doesn't seem right. I have to turn and watch, but I DO like the beeper when something is behind me. A beeper which has not worked in T-Hoe for several years.

Anyhoo...the TrailBlazer is a 2002. Very old in vehicle years. It doesn't have the bells and whistles. I suppose Farmer H has grown lax in backing, now that he's spoiled with A-Cad. I've also noticed his reliance on the back-up camera when we took The Pony's Rogue to get new tires put on a couple months ago.

I'm glad that nobody was hurt. And that I wasn't there to face the wrath of the truck owner. I imagine Farmer H will get the bulb for the TrailBlazer, and replace it himself, along with the red plastic light cover that was shattered.

He's handy like that.

4 comments:

River said...

Can he get one of those back-up cameras installed in the Trailblazer or is the vehicle too old? Glad no one was hurt anyway.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
He probably could get one, but that car is on its last legs, so not worth it.

Farmer H got the broken light fixed yesterday, at a cost of $60. Which is cheaper than I expected.

Anonymous said...

Does he keep his right eye open?

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
I hope so! But his sweaving leaves some doubt.