Sunday, March 10, 2019

Day Two of THE SHAMING

You know how sometimes, a significant other will make a sweet gesture to his mate? Do something extra-considerate, unexpected, just for the sake of doing something nice? Farmer H has never heard of that!

Fasten your seatbelt and strap on your protective helmet (as opposed to your fashionable helmet). We're about to take a ride in the WayBack Machine. Don't want to give you whiplash while switching gears.

Once upon a time, I lived in Cuba, Missouri, and played cards every Friday night with my best old ex-teaching buddies #2 and #3, Karen and Jim. There may or may not have been intoxicating beverages involved. We played poker for pretzel sticks. And were more competitive than you might imagine for such a poker pot.

Anyhoo... every Friday, my second-best old teaching buddy Karen would whoop me and Jim (but mostly me) at poker. She was a fantastic bluffer. Every time she raked in my pretzel sticks, she would sing-song, "When will she EVER learn?" while cackling madly.

That's how I felt when Farmer H inquired on Thursday night, as I stood up from the short couch, "Do you want this?"

I turned around. Halfway expecting him to have some little gift for me, or perhaps a tasty treat, obtained from a random auction. But no. I was TRICKED! Because all Farmer H held in his outstretched PopArm was

HIS CHEESY EMPTY BOWL FROM BROCCOLI, AND A PAPER PLATE OF ALREADY-GNAWED CHICKEN BONES!

"Do I WANT that? Why in the world would I WANT that? What are you talking about?"

"Do you want it? I'm giving it to you."

"NO, I don't WANT it! Are you crazy? If you want me to haul it to the kitchen so you can lay in your La-Z-Boy, just say so. Don't ask me if I WANT it! I can't believe you!"

"Well. Are you going to take it?"

"GIVE IT TO ME! You could at least say, 'Will you take this to the kitchen for me?' Don't ask if I WANT it! That's just stupid! I am SO done with you!"

Seriously. If he wants me to be his servant, he can either pay me, or ask for a favor like a normal person.

6 comments:

River said...

Poor choice of words from Farmer H for sure. I wonder what he would have done if you'd said, "No thanks, I don't want it" and then just walked away. Probably he would have put it down and just left it there until you eventually moved it. Three years from now.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
You must be psychic! That's exactly what would have happened, which is why I TOOK IT, even though I didn't WANT IT.

River said...

Heh heh, I had a husband once upon a time...

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Oh. Not psychic ability, just personal experience!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

You are one lucky lady! Oh, wait, I am just as lucky as you ...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yes. Yes, you ARE!