Wednesday, March 6, 2019

No Sympathy For The Genius

It's not that I don't have empathy and sympathy for Genius. He just doesn't need it. He's not standing in a 0-degree wind chill, waiting for a morning bus to take him to campus like The Pony. He's driving his new Honda CRV to work, making it on his own in Kansas City, better than Mary Richards in Minneapolis. In fact, Genius is doing better than okay. He's doing bonus.

I shared on my not-as-secret blog about Genius being featured recently on his college website's banner. He's a success story they like to promote. As Genius's good fortune would have it, someone else saw that banner. A headhunter. Not one from an indigenous tribe who might want Genius's head for shrinkage. No. A person looking for job talent to fill a spot for an employer.

Problem is, Genius already has an employer. One with which he's quite satisfied, having earned promotions earlier than anticipated, making a competitive salary, with incentives that even impressed Farmer H.

Genius was flattered, I'm sure, to have someone contact him to try and lure him away to a new company. I won't mention its name, but this company manufactures airplanes, and contracts with the government. The new position would have put Genius back on this side of the state, about an hour away from Hillmomba, rather than 4.5 hours.

Of course Genius followed through with an interview. Weighed all his options. And declined a pay raise to stay with his current employer. He's loyal, our Genius. And knows what's best for himself.

Genius needs no sympathy. This was a pretty good problem to have, as problems go.

2 comments:

River said...

Headhunters! Gotta watch out for them, they're everywhere. I had the owner/manager of a 24/7 convenience store ask if I wanted a job, since I was clearly happy and efficient at what I do. She was a customer at my express lane checkout and had been watching me as the line moved up. I declined her offer as I knew convenience stores are more often the target of robbers and I didn't want to put myself in that situation.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Genius finds himself head hunted more as the years go on. He's clearly what everyone would want in his type of business.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Good decision! Safety is a perk that is hard to beat!

As a matter of fact, Genius said that yesterday, he was contacted by a representative of a major online shopping site with a name associated with a vast South American rain forest. That used to be one of his dream companies, but he's quite happy where he is now.