Saturday, February 18, 2023

A Freak Injury For Freaky Mrs. HM

Welp! I've hurt myself once again doing a routine household task. No blood this time. It's not like Blog Buddy Kathy's sliced pinky

Thursday night, I made a pot of noodles/chicken/peas/mushrooms/alfredo sauce/parmesan cheese. I had it all stirred together. Farmer H had already taken a generous portion. I put the rest into a long flat plastic container, and was attempting to move it from the cutting block to FRIG II when it happened. That container was so heavy that my wrist started to give out. In trying to adjust my grip, that container slipped!

No way did I want my efforts to end up on the kitchen floor. Some people might say you could eat off my kitchen floor... but that's only due to a crumb accumulation! Not its state of cleanliness.

Anyhoo... I was juggling that container like a fumbled football, not having time to think, just grasping and grabbing and bumping it all around. I saved it! But my left hand took a beating. I'm still not sure what I did to it.

My left index finger is extremely hurty, from the middle knuckle down past the punching knuckle and into the middle of my hand. I can't grip with it. Can't lift my water bottle. It aches like the dickens. Although I have an ample rumpus, my hands are more of a skeletor style. You can see the tendons and veins through the thin skin. Except on the thumb side of my hand now. It's puffy and cartoony. A little purple.

I'd suspect a broken bone, but when I tap the bone above and below where it hurts, it does not set off a sharp pain in the middle. So no referred pain, no broken bone. There's a big knot, though. I can't close my hand all the way.

Thank goodness I have a little jar of Hempvana cream that I got off the internets from a recommendation by my old blog buddy Joeh. It takes way the pain like a miracle. When it comes back four or five hours later, I apply more.

I'm hoping to regain function soon. At least it wasn't my scratcher hand!

4 comments:

River said...

It's possible you dislocated the joint just enough to make it swell and ache but not enough to be obviously out of place. Or that joint has arthritis and the fumbling juggling has aggravated that. It's what happens with my thumbs, which both have arthritis and I frequently have a swollen left thumb at the joint right behind the knuckle because I've lifted something and used the thumb for balance when I know I shouldn't. I'm glad you saved the food though, that could have been a disaster!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I think your dislocation theory is correct. The swelling is down by half today. The area is reddish/purple, and hot to the touch. I have a little bit of strength back.

Yes, saving THE FOOD was paramount! We have enjoyed it immensely, and I am freezing a portion that's left after our three meals.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Nice save! I should tell you that while picking up the garbage the bear or raccoon or possom spread all over my yard and then relining the big trashcans with liners and securing them with the bungees that HeWho failed to secure, I ripped the chunk of flesh on my pinkie finger off! It is screaming at me now, despite the neosporin and bandaid. Yes, I blame the man who failed to secure the garbage! I hope your hands are back to normal soon, since, like me, it will not prevent you from your daily chores!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Thanks. I could have been a WIIIIIDE receiver in the Super Bowl!

NOOO!!! Tralala... wait! That only works when you're TELLING me about that flap of skin. I can't stop my eyes from seeing what I already read. I think you'll need to cut that flap off! That's what Dr. Pol would do! And he might pack it with copper sulfate.

The swelling in my hand is almost gone, but I still don't have much grip strength. I can't open a jar of pickles, because I can't grip the lid, or hold the jar with that hand. Lucky for me, I have open jars of pickles of all kinds but sweet, waiting in the door of FRIG II. Both the punching knuckle and the middle knuckle still hurt a bit, until I use that miracle Hempvana cream. It's much better than a few days ago.