Thursday, August 20, 2026

Marking Time Until The Removal

Facing five days of being catheterized and carrying around a giant pee bag like a briefcase, Farmer H barely curtailed his regular activities. He DID agree not to mow the lawns or yard/field. Even though he said the zero-turn mower has a cushy seat. He also agreed not to climb down in the floor at Bargain House, to work on the joists. Even though one more day of work will likely have it ready for listing.

Farmer H's trips to the Senior Center for lunch continued. And stopping in his office for the elderly apartments. He sold at his SUS2.5 on Saturday and Sunday, though he came home around 2:00 on Sunday. He spent afternoons in my OPC (Old People Chair) drinking water and Diet Mountain Dew and watching TV. No more trying to take a shower, after the catheter clip catastrophe. He made do with a sink bath.

Farmer H said the worst part was the pain where the catheter comes out. He was more than ready to drive 30 miles Wednesday to have that contraption removed. He sent me a text right after. "It's out!"

I think the worst part of this experience was Tuesday afternoon, when an old friend called him. Her husband was very ill, in the hospital over in Bill-Paying Town. According to Farmer H, there was nothing more they could do for him, and his brain was no longer functioning. The decision had to be made to end his ordeal. The Friend called, in tears, saying how she was all alone, and didn't know anybody around here. Farmer H had a couple tears while he was telling me about it.

"I said I just couldn't do it. I have this pee bag to carry around, and it's really been hurting this afternoon, and I just couldn't go and sit at the hospital with her. I feel bad for her. I called one of my buddies from the lockers. He knew her husband. He said he'd go down there and see if he could help. So at least she won't be alone when they do it."

Farmer H needs to realize that he can't save the world. Sometimes he needs to take care of himself first.

2 comments:

Rae said...

Bless his heart. I'm sure it was difficult knowing he was unable to be there for her. It was smart and kind of him to contact someone else who knew her husband, so she won't be alone. You are right though. Hick does need to take care of himself. The love and care he shows people is important, but he won't be able to extend himself if he is doing poorly himself. I just wish he would send a bit more of that your way. Ranee

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
I know he loves me. I just want my BASIC NEEDS like work on T-Hoe, and stuff that goes wrong here, to be treated more urgently than stuff for random people! He shocked me (in a nice way) by some of the things he said while convalescing after his surgery. I'll get around to telling that in a day or two.