The Pony was coming out Saturday. I got ready early to drive to town and pick up bananas, The Pony, and Chinese food. It was about 8:20 when I turned off the shower faucet.
GONG!
What in the Not-Heaven? What WAS that? Not a noise that I've heard around the Mansion. Not recently, anyway. Yet it sounded somewhat familiar. I ran through a list of possible sources.
Was that the front doorbell? It hasn't worked for over 10 years. Farmer H never remembers to put a battery in it. We don't get random visitors. It's a private road. The salesmen don't sneak up in here anymore, and the delivery people just leave stuff on the porch. Besides, the doorbell has two tones. DING and DONG. This wasn't quite a DONG. After I got dressed (thankfully, to anybody who might have been driving by), I looked out the front door. There was no note or package.
Was it something from my phone? My phone has never GONGed. It has a tone for incoming texts and emails. More like a PING, with an accompanying BUZZ for texts. That definitely wasn't it. Still, I checked my phone, which was lying beside the sink, and there was nothing on it.
Was it some sound from the pipes? I've never heard that before. Sometimes a GURGLE after Farmer H has had the water turned off for something.
Was it from something falling on a hard surface? Only the bathroom and laundry room have ceramic tile. The rest of the Mansion has carpet, or linoleum in kitchen and second bathroom. Nothing was out of place.
Was it the dogs doing something on the porch? Did Pepper whack his head on one of the giant metal wagon wheels that I detest? Such a noise would surely have rendered him unconscious, and there were no dogs on the porch when I looked out.
The Pony came out, and we discussed scenarios. The Pony also went to push the front doorbell, and only silence resulted.
"Could it have been this bell hanging by the kitchen door? Here, I'll clang it." CLANG! "Was that it?"
"No. The pitch was lower. And there wasn't the vibrating sound. Just a single GONG!"
We may never find out. It's almost as if whatever used to play tricks around here knew that The Pony was going to return...
2 comments:
You didn't turn the shower back on and then off again to see if it gonged?
River,
Nope! It's one of those single faucet handles. I'd freeze to death standing there while turning it on. Goes from cold to hot. Once I stepped out, I had to get dried off or I'd freeze to death with the AC. It hasn't made that GONG since then. Not turning on or off.
Post a Comment