Friday, August 21, 2015

The Spare Does Not Get The Royal Treatment



Remember back in the days of Charles and Diana and Wills and Harry? How the press referred to Prince William as the heir, and Harry as the spare? An heir and a spare. Uh huh. The royal family of Hillmomba has a similar dynamic. Not that they consciously profess, of course.

Pity the poor Pony. He is such an even-keeled young ‘un, never any trouble (except for driving him all over the county), always willing to help, rarely asking for anything. It’s not like having the #1 son around, when you must always be on your toes lest you get a rant about not making him a sandwich fast enough, or how your ideas are the stupidest thing since unsliced bread.

Each morning, I get up and make The Pony’s lunch. I put it in Frig II, along with his metal bottle of ice water, until after my shower, recliner nap, and Farmer H’s leavetaking. Then I put it in his lunch bag while I am getting my breakfast. The Pony picks it up off the cutting block on our way out the door. We have had many years to perfect this routine.

Yesterday, as I gathered my phone and purse, The Pony picked up his lunch bag.

“Uh…don’t I get lunch today?”

That royal blue lunch bag was as bare as Old Mother Hubbard’s cupboard.

“OH! I’m so sorry, Pony! I made your lunch! Really! I just forgot to put it in the bag.” I opened Frig II to show him. Packed that lunch forthwith.

I wish he hadn’t brought up that time I drove off and left him. One of these days, The Pony is going to call for my abdication.

2 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Well, in the case of the British ones, the heir seems a bit boring, but the spare would be the one I'd like to talk to at a party.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Yes, but it's the opposite with the Hillmomba royal family. The #1 son would be the party animal. The Pony is just an animal.