Saturday, September 5, 2015

A Workout Of Sorts

The Pony helped people today. Mark your calendar.

It all started when I got a text from Farmer H around noon. "I am in town picking up medicine. Taking my Number One son to drop off his truck. The Pony said he'd watch Nephew."

Well. Ain't that a fine how-do-you-do when you, yourself, are in town, and The Pony unable to drive, and Nephew a lively five-year-old.

"How?"

"I don't know. I think he said they'd watch TV."

"Am I supposed to feed him lunch? Because I'm bringing lunch to The Pony, and he will be eating."

"No. We won't be home until 1:30."

Now that was a curious assumption. To not feed a five-year-old lunch until 1:30. I got home and made two trips inside to carry my purchases. Normally, I call The Pony as I come down the driveway, and he comes out to carry. But I knew he would be watching Neph. When I got inside, The Pony appeared.

"I didn't know! I would have come to help. You didn't call. Not that I heard."

"I knew you would be busy."

"What? I was on my computer. Writing."

"How's that? You're watching Neph."

"Nooo..."

"Dad sent me a text. That you're watching Neph."

"Not until Dad gets back at 1:00."

"You mean Neph's not here now?"

"No. They're bringing him back when his mom goes to work in the truck."

"OHHH. Your Dad needs to make his texts clearer."

So The Pony ate his lunch. Then at 1:30, Neph arrived. They came down to the basement, and picked out a movie or two. Garfield, I think. The Pony laid down on the couch with his laptop. "Here, Neph. I got out the beanbag chair for you."

"It's cold down here."

"That's why I have a blanket." Let the record show that at no time did The Pony offer thin spindly Neph a blanket.

"Can I have that Lego set?"

"No. Sorry."

They commenced to movie-watchin'. Every thirty seconds, Neph asked, "Why is he doing that?" Let the record show that he said he had already seen this movie.

"Can I have a snack?"

"Do you want some Scooby Doo gummies?"

"Yeah."

"Better ask your dad."

Off they went up the stairs and out the door. This was the first of about 10 trips outside. But when first they returned, and Neph got two packs of gummies, he asked, "How long have these been sitting here?"

Really? REALLY? It's not like Neph knew my mom. Those gummies were only two weeks old. I don't know what he was getting at. Intermittently, Neph jumped up and ran around the basement. He whooped and hollered. The Pony gave him his red laser pointer to play with. "Big mistake," said The Pony later.

"Hey! Can I have this cat pointer?"

"No. I don't think your dad, OR your cat would appreciate that."

"Okay."

A couple hours later, it was time for Neph to go. "BYE, PONY!"

"Bye, Neph."

The Pony was exhausted.

2 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

That was a good birth control lesson. The Pony will think about this exhausting afternoon before doing anything that might result in his OWN Little Pony.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
In addition, he had to herd hordes of that age group at summer school, for his A+ tutoring hours. "Kids are always sticky. Even if you don't give them anything to hold in their hands. They get sticky. I don't know how they do that."

I WILL say The Pony was calm. As was the #1 son that Christmas the Number One son brought his then-wife and her five kids out for Oreo cake and pizza and Chex Mix before the present-unwrapping. "Here now. We don't run around with the knife."

Yeah. I think both of them want to avoid that milestone for a while.