Friday, October 2, 2015

If He Gets His Own Reality Show, I Want My Face Blurred

The Pony is a small-town celebrity.

He was on the front page of the Daily Hillmomban this morning (online version) and most likely on the front page of the print version this afternoon. With a PICTURE! That's why I'm not linking it. Well...that, and his real name. Not good for Mrs. Hillbilly Mom's anonymity.

The occasion was the official announcement of The Pony's National Merit Scholar Semifinalist status. He is the first one from Newmentia to earn that distinction in 30 years. Truth be told, he's probably the ONLY Newmentian to earn that distinction, but the official who made that statement has only been around for 30 years.

It was a flattering article and a flattering picture. I don't know how he does it, having the camera love him like an exotic paramour, when it treats me like a spurned ex-spouse who lives under the bridge, moonlighting as a troll. The reporter told him she would like to interview him again when his story comes out in a Mars anthology later this month.

Big fish. Little pond. The #1 son will be green with envy, yet declare he isn't. Different species of fish. Different ponds. There's room in the Hillmomba ecosystem for both.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

The Pony's good looks. His intelligence. His writing talent.

Take credit for all of it. His quirky streaks--those are all from Farmer H.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Of course. I tell him that all the time. At least he shows no desire to build an endless shantytown of outbuildings. He's more like me, preferring to lay on the couch and let all his body systems atrophy except his brain.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I know what you mean about that camera lens! The Millionaire seems to be quite photogenic, while I never like the results I see of me. My daughter, the bride, always photographs well ....... does not get that from me!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yes, the bride was beautiful and The Millionaire looked like royalty. Were you that Carol Burnett looking charwoman in the back? Oh. Sorry. That's not polite to ask. I'm sure you were perfectly presentable, even if the camera refused to say so.