Wednesday, January 24, 2018

The Hillbilly Code Is Hard To Break

In case you have never assumed so...Hillmomba is a very hillbillyfied area. Which is not always a bad thing.

Yesterday, I was coming out of Waterside Mart, having cashed in this ticket and another.


I was happy as could be to find $50 waiting for me under the winning numbers, and even happier when I scratched this little guy's back to find


ANOTHER $50 waiting for me! That $5 ticket won me $100, by cracky!

The clerk who sold it to me is really a store manager at another branch of Waterside Mart. She used to be one of my students. I told her she had a lucky touch, and pocketed my big win, and bought one ticket with the other winner, which was only $5.

On my way out, I saw a lady ready to come in the glass double doors. She was slowed down, because there was a sign on the door to her left. "PLEASE USE OTHER DOOR." The wind catches that one really bad, so on windy days, they put up that sign, and lock the door so it won't break the hinges. I pulled the other door open, and held it, allowing her to come in. That's the polite thing to do.

Behind me was a hillilly-looking dude in jeans, slightly younger than me, slightly thinner than Farmer H, with a little bit more hair that him. Since I was already holding the door open, I gestured to him to go on through. "I've got it. Go ahead." Because that's the polite thing to do, and because it was the quickest way for us all to enter and exit. Not that he was impatient or anything.

But...let's not forget, Hillmomba is a hillbillyfied area. That dude didn't want to go through a door that a woman was holding. A woman older than him. It wouldn't be right, by hillbilly standards. So he balked.

"You go ahead, doll."

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

3 comments:

River said...

You mean to tell me a single winning number gets a payout? You've got three number 3s, one number 40, and one number 7, and they all get paid? Over here we have to get three matching numbers to get paid, so only those 3s would get paid, not the 40 or the 7. And there's never any games on the reverse of our tickets. Not a good enough reason for me to move over there though.
Congratulations.
Hillbilly etiquette is funny.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Having been raised in the deep south, I am familiar with that particular brand of chivalry.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, I cut off the instructions at the bottom of the ticket in my photo. Any number matching the numbers up top will win and pay. Only a few of our tickets have the second chance on the back. They're older games, and always on a $5 ticket. No wonder it's so hard for you to win! Your rules are more stringent.

***
Kathy,
It's not ALWAYS a bad thing...though I did object to the cop who pulled me over for speeding and asked, "Well, little lady, do you have any idea how fast you were going?"