Friday, January 19, 2018

The Newest Treat That Mrs. HM Is Craving

I've re-discovered an old friend in the treat department:


Yeah. How could I forget? I used to have this all the time. And by all the time, I mean every day, for a month or so, until I grew tired of it and moved on to something else.

I don't have it for breakfast. No. I usually don't have breakfast, now that I'm RETIRED! I used to have a bowl of flavored oatmeal made from the packet by adding water and microwaving. That was after I tired of having two mini sausage biscuits. But now, I get up at 9:30, and do my running around, and then have lunch when I get home. That's usually between 1:00 and 2:30.

Anyhoo...I have my Raisin Bran in a small Styrofoam bowl, as my nightly snack. No milk for me. I'm not a fan of milk. I don't even use a spoon. Just eat that Raisin Bran with my fingers, like Chex Mix. It really does look like the picture on the package! No milk, of course. And a different bowl. And I don't have those wheat bran plant thingies in the background. But the cereal looks like that! It's not crushed. It has actual raisins. I think it makes a good snack. Replacing my Gourmet Lollipop, which has become hard to find in flavors I like.

There could be worse things to snack on.

6 comments:

River said...

We have Sultana Bran out here, which is the same thing but with sultanas, smaller and lighter coloured instead of raisins. I never liked it much, not even as a snack. I still make breakfast, most days porridge (oats) with cinnamon and brown sugar, summers it is usually yoghurt and fruit, weekends I'll make pancakes if I'm in the mood. Today I had crumpets with butter and honey. I rarely skip breakfast.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That is something I've not heard of, the Sultana Bran AND the sultana itself. The instant oatmeal I like is Maple and Brown Sugar, but sometimes I add cinnamon. When I worked at my second job, and money was tight, I had Cream of Wheat every morning, and sometimes for supper too. Plain, with a sprinkle of sugar on top.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I love cereal as a snack! I don't do milk, either. Almond milk, sometimes. Just the other day I had a bowl of cornflakes. With the almond milk and a teaspoon of sugar. Took me back to childhood. Then I crushed the rest of the cornflakes and coated the chicken that was marinating in Italian dressing and stuck that in the oven. It will probably be 20 years before I have another bowl ..... maybe not.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I keep cornflakes for putting on top of the hash brown casserole for holiday meals. I've not been tempted to eat them. If they were the sugared kind, yeah. But not the plain ones. With added sugar and sliced banana, they might be tasty. But I'm pretty lazy.

River said...

Maple and brown sugar is two sugars, that would be very sweet I think. I believe sultanas are what you call golden raisins, but I could be wrong about that. I like plain cornflakes for a crunchy snack, but very rarely buy them. I buy processed cornflake crumbs and mix them with regular processed breadcrumbs for the coating on my chicken schnitzels.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Oh, I've had golden raisins. At least I didn't add sugar and syrup to my packets of Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal!