Tuesday, November 13, 2018

The Elderly Gentleman

When I left the third-floor lab on Monday, after my blood-drawing, I walked out to the elevator area. An older gentleman was standing there, waiting. I saw that he had already pushed the button.

"Going down. Good!"

He smiled, and it was such a ray of sunshine on that dreary day that I was taken aback. The vibe I got from this guy was SO POSITIVE! I hardly know how to explain it. He seemed to emit good cheer. The elevator arrived, and he stepped back and motioned me ahead. Such a nice guy!

I pressed the bar for MAIN LOBBY, and asked if that where he was going, and he said yes. I said, "That's good. My ride is waiting down there for me." Though it was actually only Farmer H himself, waiting to walk me to my ride.

We chatted a bit on the way down, Elderly Gentleman and I. It's a slow elevator. I mentioned that it looked like they'd re-done it since I was there last, six months ago. And he said, "Oh, you must be healthy, if you haven't been here in six months." I replied that SO FAR, it's been going pretty good.

I don't think I've ever encountered a person who exuded such positive energy, without trying, and so calm and soft-spoken. I guess if you can get evil vibes from folks, you can also get good vibes.

I wasn't worthy of his company.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He MAY have been related to Even Steven!!

River said...

Of course you were worthy, why wouldn't you be? it's really lovely when you meet people like that, old world charm and courtesy all in one package. The world could use a few more like him.

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
I was polite to him, so let's hope I'm rewarded in the Evening.

***
River,
I'm such a jaded, sarcastic old gal. This guy was full of goodness, like my grandma on my mom's side. Never heard a discouraging word from her. This old man gave off a very positive vibe.