Thursday, June 13, 2019

Something Is Fishy At Casey's

Here’s the newest thing at the Hillmomba Casey’s:
They card people under 40 for buying LOTTERY TICKETS!

But that’s not the weird part! If a scratcher-buyer looks OVER 40, they ask for their birthdate! What in the NOT-HEAVEN??? I was there when the regular clerk explained it to a new guy. She said, “I know. It’s weird. But that’s our new policy.” Every time since then, no matter what clerk I get, they’ve asked my birthdate. No other store does it. Weirdos. I haven’t heard them ask anyone else. Maybe it’s just for ME! The greeter in Walmart has been stopping me, too! Asking to see my receipt. I’m pretty sure neither place is allowed to do that legally, but I’m not a boat-rocker, so I comply.

So here's the deal. In Missouri, you have to be 18 years old to buy a lottery ticket. And 21 to buy alcohol. When I used to work in a Casey's, back in 1992, the policy was to ask for ID if an alcohol-buyer looked under 30. I guess today's Millennial workers aren't good at judging people's ages. Probably from never looking at people, but having their eyes down on their phone 24/7/365. So now they have to card if customers look under 40!

This new kid clerk is always polite, but when it comes time to ask my birthdate, he gets all nervous. Heh, heh! Maybe he's afraid I'm not over 40, and I'll be insulted! Nah. I don't think so. Maybe he has respect for his elders, and sees it as a disrespectful intrusion. Or maybe he's afraid one of us is going to object to giving that info, and thump him.

I seriously do not see the point in asking this question. It is obvious we are old enough to buy a lottery ticket. Casey's does not have our name and address to see if we're telling the truth. Wait a minute! Conspiracy alert! What if they are using us to compile facial recognition data, using their surveillance cameras and our age typed into the register by the clerks?

Yeah, that's far-fetched. But the clerks DO make some kind of entry on the computer right after asking our birthdate. What's up with that? If they're only checking a box that they asked, who's going to know if they really asked. They could avoid confrontation, and check it anyway without asking.

Something is fishy at Casey's.

5 comments:

River said...

It's probably some kind of survey to find out which age group tends to buy the most tickets. A demographic study. Because the government wants to know.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Probably. I'm still incensed that my optometrist asked me if I had guns in the house. That was five or six years ago. Said he HAD to ask. Of course I told him what I wanted, not necessarily the truth.

Sioux Roslawski said...

HM--I was asked how old I was at Target recently (I was buying rubber cement--a small bottle) and at Wendy's. At Wendy's I got a "senior" soda--which was free.

That's just one of many perks, now that I'm 60...

River said...

I tell similar fibs. Every time I shop at Ikea, the checker asks for my postcode and every time I tell her a different one. (zipcode)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
You should have demanded a senior discount on your rubber cement! Acted like you assumed that was the reason for asking your age.

***
River,
Heh, heh! Such a quiet rebellion!