Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Even Steven Will Not Allow My Dehydration On His Watch

With Farmer H away from the Mansion, the trash dumpster once again became my job. It goes out on Wednesday mornings, so I wanted to put it at the end of the driveway Tuesday. Just to be sure. I got caught up watching Trisha's Southern Kitchen, and it was 11:15 before I ventured outside. The dogs went WILD! Oh, how they remember our glory days of dumpster-pulling and rabbit-chasing.

Of course, when I got to the end of the driveway, Farmer H sent me a text. Have I mentioned that he can sense when the worst time is to contact me? I stopped and sent him a text that I was at the end of the driveway. I can't text while walking. Besides, I didn't have my glasses, so it took twice as long.

When I was about 1/3 of the way back to the Mansion, the sun disappeared, and a downpour ensued. I tucked my phone into my shirt pocket, and skewed the bill of my just-a-few-minutes-ago sun-shading cap to cover it. Don't even suggest that I could have sprinted to the safety of the metal-roofed carport. My sprinting days are over.

Pics to prove it happened:

You may not notice the rain in this view, but I'm pretty sure you can see the dumpster WAAAAY up there. You might imagine that from here I was just a few seconds away from re-entering the Mansion. Think again.

Did I mention that it was a downpour? Juno forsook me, to hole up in her house. The two Jacks were off on an adventure over on Neighbor Tommy's ten acres. I hung out for a few minutes between SilverRedO and the Gator. This picture was meant to highlight the downspout gushing at the corner of the porch, but I can barely see it. Ten minutes later, I decided I'd rather be wet than stand on my driveway knees. So I ducked under Carportagra Falls and pussy-footed my way across the wet bricks of the sidewalk.

I probably could have skipped my shower, and just toweled off.

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I noticed the license plates decorating the area right by the roof of the carport. Are they stolen--is that why you didn't mention them?

How long is your vacation? When will it end?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Heh, heh! If only Farmer H ran a chop-shop, and made money off all those stolen cars attached to the stolen license plates! Farmer H loves his license plates. I think he used to have a bunch of them over at the BARn, until he got rid of his wooden doors for a garage type door. He will buy them at auctions or flea markets.

Alas, my vacation has ended. The self-proclaimed master of the Mansion returned tonight.

River said...

I see the rain dripping off the carport roof, like Christmas icicles hanging down. I don't mind getting caught in a downpour as long as I am close to or heading home for dry clothes. I hate getting rained on when I'm on my way somewhere else where I'll have to sit around or shop in wet clothes.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That happened to me on Monday. I came out of The Devil's Playground, using my umbrella (!) and the rain was blowing sideways. It soaked everything but my lovely lady-mullet, which I was able to protect by setting that umbrella literally on top of my head. My clothes were soaked. It was difficult to slide onto T-Hoe's leather seat, because my we pants didn't want to slide on wet leather. I still had two stops to make for scratchers and a 44 oz Diet Coke! I toughed it out, though.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

We got some of that rain, too. Along with a ferocious wind. My gutters failed and the garden under them was flooded. I have some old license plates that I used as trim in a door way. Some were given to me by kampers, but a lot of them came from cars that were junked for scrap out of the impound lot. Free. I like free.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Farmer H said there was six inches of water in the bottom of the dumpster. The trash guys always leave the lid flapped open. I'm shocked it didn't blow all the way back to the Mansion. So maybe we didn't get the wind so bad, even though it blew the rain sideways on me. I could still walk, and my bumbershoot didn't blow inside-out!