Thursday, July 4, 2019

The Frog Is Beginning To Simmer

For anybody who thought I'd lost my dang mind a few days ago, ranting about how Farmer H's medical team is trying to slowly kill him... I find it necessary to provide updates. I still stand by my suspicions. Like a frog heated in a pot a few degrees at a time, Farmer H isn't aware that they're trying to kill him!

Sweet Gummi Mary! I'm shocked that Farmer H isn't already in his death throes. As you recall, last Friday, he finally got through to the company that provides his stick-on blood sugar tester thingy, which was giving him readings of 46, when a stick showed 126. The lady assured him, after a 52-minute phone call, that she was sending out a new tester, and Farmer H should receive it within two business days. Farmer H assumed he would get it on Wednesday.

Wednesday, I got a package in the mail, which I assumed was Farmer H's propane gas connector thingy that he ordered for the camper. I've been tracking it, and saw that it was at the dead mouse smelling post office at 8:02 a.m. So I figured it would arrive in the day's mail. When I called Farmer H to say his gas connector was here, he said,

"But what about my stick-on blood sugar tester thingy? It was supposed to get here today."

"Well. You didn't actually TELL me when it was arriving. Have you been tracking it? I guess that could be it in the box. It's on the back seat, and I'm driving right now."

"Was it heavy?"

"Yeah. Kind of. And I felt it moving around when I slanted the box. Which is smashed on one corner, so I hope it isn't damaged."

"No. That would be the gas connector. So I guess I'm going to need to call them people back again about my tester. She said two business days."

When I stopped in town, I saw that the package was indeed Farmer H's gas connector. I sent him a text to confirm. He called the medical supplier about his stick-on blood sugar tester thingy. Got another gal in India. She said there was no record of it being mailed out. But she saw where he'd been told he was getting one shipped to him. There was just no tracking record for it. So she didn't know where it was. She said she'd send him one next-day air. Farmer H pointed out that Thursday was the 4th of July holiday. That gal said he'd have it by Friday. 

Well. What other choice did Farmer H have? None. He'd been without his tester for a week, after it had been giving him wrong readings for the week before that. I'm pretty sure that's not the standard of care a doctor (or even a nurse practitioner) wants for an elderly man with The Diabeetus.

Anyhoo... Farmer H was over at back-creek neighbor Bev's house, charging her air conditioner, when I started supper. I'd just plopped down in the La-Z-Boy to wait on a baked potato when the house phone rang. Of course I hadn't carried it to the chair with me. I didn't jump up to answer, because of all the unwanted calls we've been getting from would-be old-people scammers. I listened, and the lady leaving the message gave a name I didn't recognize, and said

"We live down by the little bridge, and seem to have gotten your mail delivered on our porch. It looks like medical supplies--"

I jumped up and hobbled to the phone to answer. She added that the FED EX man left it on the porch and drove off without knocking. They only found it later, after the downpour, and the boxes were wet from the rain! She said Farmer H could drive by and pick them up, no need to knock. So I called him, and he got them on the way back from back creek neighbor Bev's.

Farmer H opened them up, and the boxes packed inside the boxes were still dry. So now he has this new set, and another one due to arrive (SOMEWHERE) on Friday. I told him he's going to be prosecuted for medical fraud!

Farmer H says he isn't going to send the Friday set back until the company mails him a return label. That way there will be a record of the package.

2 comments:

River said...

I certainly hope the new tester gives more accurate readings, you don't want him going into shock or a diabetic coma when he's out sweaving his way to or from home with no one there to help him. FedEx needs to hire people who can read addresses and maps to get the good delivered correctly.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yeah. To complicate matters, we upgraded our health insurance on July 1. Same company, different deductibles. I'm sure that will play into future dealings with this transaction.

I don't think we've EVER had a GOOD interaction with FedEx. Always a problem. The two most serious being Genius's dog-eaten bison leather wallet from Sharper Image, and the other being the big crater the driver made in the yard when he got off the driveway and got stuck.