Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Mrs. Hillbilly Mom Is Not Assured

We upgraded our health insurance policy (through the school), for when the fiscal year changed July 1. I know I mentioned how we got two ID cards for three people. I have since received the extra ID card, so everything is good. I think. Here's a paragraph from a previous blog post:

Usually, there's a meeting at school for the retirees. The insurance rep comes in and goes over any changes. Then we sign a form to continue or change policies. This year, there was no meeting. I even called school to see if I'd missed the letter. Nope. No meeting. But since I wanted to change, I could go to the main office and fill out the form. So I did. Back in May. Paid my premium in June, which was for July. [Oh, there's another story about THAT, which might come up soon.]

Uh huh. The time for that other story is here!

Let the record show that I leave six checks in the administrative office. Already filled out, ready to deposit on the first of the month, even though they don't pay the insurance premiums until the tenth. I have money in my checking account to cover all the checks. It's easier than depending on the mail, or driving over there every month to pay. Then I take the next six over when those run out. They take a check out of my folder every month, to cover the premium. The secretary who does this retired, but the one taking her place assured me it would still work the same way.

Everything was good. The check for July (dated June1) cleared the bank in a timely manner. Health insurance was no longer on my radar. Mission accomplished.

A couple weeks ago, I got a letter from school, dated June 27.

I am sorry for the delay in getting your new health insurance premium amount sent out for the 2019-20 school year. We appreciate your patience while we transition several positions in the central office. Please note your premium below which began in June for your July premium:

$1699.20

Should you have any questions in regard to this letter, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

What in the actual NOT-HEAVEN???

It was addressed to me. That is the amount I've written my six checks for. The amount the bookkeeper told me when I went to the office to upgrade the policy. So this is not news to me. I am worried that they didn't pay my premium for July! The new insurance cards have different deductibles. So it looks like I'm on the upgraded policy.

Am I worried needlessly? Did they just send out a letter to all retirees? Because they didn't have a meeting this year? Or was it a letter to ALL employees, because a different amount will be held out of their check (due to increases) for the partial amount they have to pay for family members above their board-paid insurance? Did they also neglect to have a district-wide insurance meeting in May?

It was signed by the new superintendent, who was a previous principal, who was never a big fan of me. One who has a history (it's no secret) of getting a lot of help from other people to do his job. I did not call the office. I have no desire to talk to the new administration.

The gals assured me everything was good with my checks. The first one cleared the bank, you know. So I'm hoping it went into the right account for the insurance.

2 comments:

River said...

I do hope everything is alright with the insurance and the checks. Is it worth calling just to be sure the premiums haven't increased in price? You could ask to speak with a particular person so you don't have to talk to the annoying "do it for me" one.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I'm sure the price is correct, because the letter shows what I wrote all my checks for, the new price the bookkeeper quoted me, off her chart, when I upgraded. I'm just curious why I got the letter, unless it was like a form letter, with everybody's amount inserted.

My main worry was that they didn't send the premium, and were apologizing for THAT! Upon each re-read, I don't think that's the case. I really don't want to call, when the office is in an uproar with staff changes, and rushing to get things ready for the new school year. I'm not averse to talking to either of those gals, I just don't want to bother them. The other person is a definite case of AVOIDANCE!