Sunday, February 19, 2023

Spare The Rumpus, Spoil The Child

Sweet Gummi Mary! We have a generation of young adults headed for sudden (and gruesome) death! All because their parents did not love them enough to teach them life skills, and mete out corrections as necessary.

For two days in a row, I almost RAN OVER young adults darting into the path of moving T-Hoe! Good thing the brakes work, and that I am a cautious driver.

The first was Friday, at Orb K. I had just turned onto the lot, so was going slow enough to react to errant cars backing out from parking places in front of the store. The late afternoon sun blared into my sunglassed and window-visored eyes. But I am ever-vigilant behind the wheel.

As I steered T-Hoe between the row of parked cars and the gas pumps, a plump 20-something gal jiggled herself into T-Hoe's path. I don't say that as plump-shaming. She was jiggling and giggling, prancing sideways and backwards, joking with somebody in the car at the pumps. Then turned and darted RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, within about 10 feet of T-Hoe's bumper.

I jammed on the brakes, shaken, then shocked. I threw up my hands like what the actual eff? My heart was racing as I continued to my preferred parking spot.

The second event was Saturday. I was parked in the handicap space at the Gas Station Chicken Store, facing away from the FREE AIR hose. I could see the gas pumps and the stoplight and the Liquor Store across the street. 

A black pickup truck crossed the lot, and pulled up beside T-Hoe. He was not in a parking spot. Just sitting in the drive area between those two parking spaces beside the building, and the diesel pumps on the side. I thought perhaps he needed the handicap space, and started up T-Hoe to pull away.

YIKES! A young man darted from behind that black pickup truck, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! Again, I jammed on the brakes. At least this fellow had the shame to wave his hand at me, in a kind of "sorry" motion. And he sped up to get out of the way.

Both of these young people were about The Pony's age. The generation that was pampered with trophies and awards for simply breathing. Thanked for doing the most mundane things. Catered to and excuses made for. Yet not taught responsibility.

So sad that their parents did not swat a tender rumpus, nor sit that rambunctious rumpus on a naughty stool for an age-appropriate time-out to promote self-control and prevent them from running into traffic all willy-nilly!

4 comments:

River said...

I think the problem is that they have been driven everywhere their whole lives and never needed to watch out for traffic. Now that they are on their feet, they will have to learn that all on their own.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I think the dude is a faster learner than the gal. At least HE noticed that he was almost flattened by T-Hoe. She continued, with no reaction, like she had a force field around her for protection from a 5,000-lb vehicle.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I was just lamenting about the lack of common sense education of my grandchildren. He called to tell me that the checks for Christmas had not arrived last month (I found them all ready to be mailed and they somehow slipped through the mass of necessary chores during the two months of hospital stays of The Patient). I happened to ask him today if they had arrived, although I already knew they had been cashed. I knew the answer, but wanted the opportunity to pick on someone other than HeWho. I opined that perhaps the mother of his children might have spent more time teaching them about thank you notes or texts or even a simple acknowledgement of a gift instead of making his life a living hell. Yeah, I am in a mood, but admitted to him that his sisters failed to teach their children the same thing. It is just rude not to thank someone for a gift. Poor Jeff, he gets to listen to all my complaints! And now you do, too

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Let's just hope they know enough to look both ways for traffic before sashaying out into the road! The rude lack of a thank-you is at least not life-threatening. For most people.... Given your current mood, they might have something to worry about!