Tuesday, February 28, 2023

What We Have Here Is A Failure To PreMedicate

I don't mean to speak ill of Farmer H while he's in the hospital getting his back rebuilt, but... On Sunday evening, Farmer H brought me an empty box.

"You need to take this by CeilingReds and get it refilled for me."

"Why didn't you do that already? You knew your surgery was Monday. You've known that for weeks now."

"I don't need it until Friday. It's just time to refill."

That's the thing. Farmer H takes this medicine once a week. He NEVER gets his refills like a normal person. First of all, he won't call them in. He drops off the empty bottles at the pharmacy itself. After he runs out. When he needs them the next day. Then he goes by to pick them up, even though sometimes it takes an extra day to get some of them. I call mine in three days before the last refill date. I always have a few pills left, as a cushion, in case they're not available until the next day.

Anyhoo... I parked at CeilingReds after visiting the Gas Station Chicken Store. There were about 10 cars on their parking lot. Once I got inside, I was the only customer! I could see several employees wandering around the pill shelves behind the counter. There was no section marked for DROP OFF. Only pickup, and shot-getting. A stout woman in a work uniform passed me as I came in. As if she was going out for a smoke, perhaps...

I wandered along the counter. There was no real space to do anything. Plexiglass all along it. Not even a decent opening to shove in money, like they have at the credit union.

Grouchy Stout came back. "I can help you at the middle register."

She seemed none to happy to do so.

"Do you just want a refill?"

"Yes. For my husband. He usually gets Trulicity, but you were out last time, so you gave him this." I looked for a place to put in the empty box. Finally turned it sideways, and stuck it through a gap in the plexiglass.

"This prescription is out of refills."

"Oh. He told me to bring it. Do you call the doctor's office?"

"We can send a fax."

"Okay. Then do that. I can't ask him. He just got out of surgery."

"We will send it to Mrs. Nurse Practitioner."

"Yes. That's who he sees. But she only works one day a week. Tuesdays."

"So we'd better send it tomorrow."

"Yes."

"Do you want me to throw away this box?"

"No. I'll take it back."

We'll see if Farmer H gets his prescription. I am none too thrilled about going back in there to ask for it.

8 comments:

angie said...

I have had a difficult time getting Trulicity. There's seems to be a nationwide shortage because people are taking it to get skinny. That should be outlawed.

Hillbilly Mom said...

angie,
Yes, that is what they told Farmer H months ago when this problem started. I think another option was Ozempic, with the same shortage problem. This one they are substituting is Mounjaro. Heh, heh! The name sounds like you're climbing a mountain. Which is representative of the effort needed to get this prescription!

River said...

I agree with Angie, all diabetic medication should be by prescription only with an addendum that the person IS actually diabetic. We have the same shortage problem here in Australia, which is hugely unfair to diabetics. Most diabetics here are registered on the NDIS system and can prove they are in need of the medication, so those asking for it without proof should be denied.
AND, Farmer H should have taken care of this himself. I always get my prescriptions a day or two before I run out. Here, we get a three month prescription from the doctor then the pharmacy gives us a one month supply at a time, after the third supply we have to go back to the doctor.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, the mobs were out with pitchforks and flaming torches for people who wanted to try "certain medications" off-label during the VIRUS. But now it's perfectly acceptable for people to usurp these diabetic drugs for off-label use to slim down their fat rumpuses! Just shows how much influence Big Pharma has in the world. Their profits are all that counts.

We get six months of refills, either a month or three months at a time. Only now my NP is giving FIVE instead of six. I don't know what's up with that! After that, we have to go back for an exam to get another six months.

I always refill mine with about 5-7 pills left, in case there's an issue with getting it. Farmer H will take the last one they day before, and then go to get refills!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

The Patient's cousin has started the Ozempic to lose weight ..... and is paying out of pocket, then submitting it to her insurance company. It annoys me when people try to shortcut their way to weight loss. She is not morbidly obese and her eating habits are really bad. Lots of burgers and fries, not a salad eater or even a vegetable eater. Also annoys me, because she will soon find herself unable to meet her monthly bill obligation and we will feel the need to bail her out. Like I felt about my tenants who neglected to pay rent while taking a nice vacation. One man had the nerve to say that it wasn't like I paid for his vacation while he owed me two months rent!! I guess you know that I took the opportunity to educate him.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I hate paying for other people's stuff! Unless they are really trying to make it, and I feel like tossing some cash their way when my cold, cold heart melts a little.

River said...

Kathy; you may feel the need to bail her out but may I suggest you don't and instead tell her to stop buying medication she can't afford? In my opinion, it should be illegal for these people to be purchasing such medications.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I know what you mean, River, but family is family. She would do anything for us and we love her, even if she sees the world in a warped way. Weight is the least of my worries, unless it interferes with my health. People tend to thicken as they age and she just can't accept it. She didn't have a good childhood until my mother-in-law took her in after the stepfather molested her. We can't choose family. She has very little and I would hate to see her lose her small piece of property .... she would then need a place to stay and I can only take her in small doses!