Saturday, February 25, 2023

The Awkwardness Of The Long-Distance Cart/Walker

I parked way down at the right end of Country Mart on Friday. In the indented parking space where a gal on a bicycle once blocked me in by standing so close to T-Hoe's door to fiddle with her child-seat. Not that I wished any harm to her child, but there were acres of space to do that while leaving room for T-Hoe's door to open.

Anyhoo... I was dismayed to see NO carts left along the front of the building. Of all the days for the staff to be efficient at bringing in the carts! I hobbled inside and grabbed one out of the indoor cart corral. When I came out, I was dismayed once again. There was a man walking from nowhere, coming across the lot from the area of a mini mall with my pharmacy, a Chinese restaurant, and a storefront that has housed assorted businesses. Even worse, Dude was walking towards the back of T-Hoe.

I paused on the sidewalk, leaning on my cart/walker. I was not going to be standing in his path, my purse exposed in the child seat. I momentarily considered popping up T-Hoe's back hatch with my clicker, right as Dude walked by. That could be amusing, hitting him with the door remotely. But Mrs. HM is a good egg, ever cognizant of her permanent record, and not one for playing rude pranks on strangers.

After Dude passed by T-Hoe, and then by me, I proceeded to T-Hoe's rear, and unloaded my groceries. Oh, great. Here came a Man and Wife across the pavement. At least they were parked on the lot, and seemed to be heading inside to shop. But WHY were they not taking the most direct route? And instead steering themselves towards T-Hoe's rear?

I was ready to park my cart/walker and get on with my errands before picking up Farmer H at Mick the Mechanic's shop. I heaved a heavy sigh. Waited for those two to get out of my way. Reached up to push the button and close T-Hoe's hatch.

"I'll take that."

"What?"

"The cart. I can take it."

"Oh! Okay. Here. I like to use it as a walker!"
 
"Are you going in?"

"No. I'm done with it. I push one in, and then leave it by the building when I come out. I figure we're even."

Man looked confused, and Wife was encouraging him to come on. Acting like I was the weirdo!

2 comments:

River said...

at least you didn't have to walk it back to the wall. Wifey probably wasn't expecting such a long reply to her husband, probably imagined a simple "thank you bye bye".

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
He didn't seem to be picking up what I was laying down! Maybe she just realized that no amount of explaining was going to get through to him. All she had to do was cut me a sign, like twirling her crazy temple finger beside her head!