Saturday, June 29, 2024

Another Try With The Newly-Tough Pork Steaks

Farmer H grilled pork steaks last night. I got them at Save A Lot. Taking no chances on them being almost inedible for toughness like the last two ventures, I upped my marinating game.

You may recall that such pork steaks bought from 10Box AND Save A Lot turned out really tough. I don't blame Farmer H at all. Mark the calendar!!! He used GassyG Jr, just like all the other times. Same sauce, same method. He usually makes really good BBQ. 

Anyhoo... this time I bought some actual soy sauce. That's what I used for my marinade. Soy sauce. A sprinkle of teriyaki sauce. A couple serving spoons of dill pickle juice for some acidity. Then brown sugar rubbed on. Oh, and first of all, I stabbed those pork steaks with a fork to let the marinade in. I did all this at 11:00 p.m. Sealed the pork steaks in a 9 x 13 plastic container for FRIG II. 

The next morning around 9:00, I took that container out, and changed the order of the pork steaks, putting the top two on the bottom, and the bottom two on the top. Just so they all had an equal exposure to the inch or so of marinade sloshing around the bottom.

Farmer H went out to grill at 6:15. He bought a new grill! I have not asked questions about where, or the origin of the money. Farmer H said GassyG Jr started to fall apart when being loaded into SilverRedO at the Senior Center. This new grill is black instead of silver. I have not named him yet. I guess I'll need to see his brand name, or judge his personality first.

Anyhoo... Farmer H grilled for 40 minutes. I ate half a pork steak. The texture was not as good as those long-ago delicacies that came off the orginal GassyG. But not tough. Only one little piece was a bit chewy. The flavor was great. I would have preferred mine to be a bit more well-done, with crispy black edges on the fatty part. But still, a tasty meal. I'm going to call the 13-hours of marinating a success.

Still, it shouldn't have to be this way.

2 comments:

River said...

I suspect they may have been cheaper cuts from an older hog, which is a very sad thing for future bbq's, at least the longer marinating helped.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes. It was actually 18 hours of marinating, but I guess I mis-typed it as 13. So sad about NEEDING to do this every time, because Save A Lot used to have the best meat of all the local stores. At least I know the solution. Farmer H even commented about how tender his was.