Thursday, June 27, 2024

Word On The Street From Hillmomba

Over the past few months, the Dollar General store in Hillmomba has closed. It was next to the Save A Lot. Bad parking, but still convenient for dashing in and grabbing something like a birthday card, or POOLIO floaties. 

In place of that Dollar General, a new store was built, up the hill on the lot where Genius once parked the solar car when he was in college, to charge the solar panels, and avoid dragging it out to the Mansion, where the team was spending the night on their multi-state race.

Anyhoo... this new store is called a DG Market. Supposedly, it has more food than a regular Dollar General store. Like a grocery store. I have not been inside, since their parking lot is on a hill. AND, I can't discern where their handicap spaces are. I don't care enough to drive up in the parking lot and look.

Farmer H asked if I'd been there yet. No.

"My buddies say that it's only self-checkout! They went, and got up front, and there was only one employee in the entire store, and you had to scan your own items to pay. Said that everybody was leaving their carts and walking out. They don't want to do all the work to buy their groceries!"

I can empathize. Anybody who wants my business will dang well ring up my purchases and take my debit card. I'm not on their payroll! Give the customers service, or do without the customers!

As I drive by there these days, I only see six or eight cars on their lot. It probably holds 24 cars or more. Granted, it's now the end of the month. But when the place first opened, the lot was full. Not sure where people are taking their business. I'm guessing 10Box. Because the Save A Lot has parking available now, too.

2 comments:

River said...

I know it is wrong of me to do their work, but if a self checkout is available I will zip through it much faster than having someone scan and pack while making conversation that I don't need to hear or answer.
There is one supermarket nearby that doesn't have self-serve and I happily go there because it isn't one of "the big two" and the staff there are nicer and the whole store atmosphere is friendlier.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Genius is like that. Even as a child, when self-checkout was a new thing, he wanted to go through it, and scanned my items, and told me how to pay! The Pony uses it, because he's really not a people-person. I am still digging in my heels. I'm not doing their work, possibly taking away a job for somebody.

I like 10Box for the friendly employees, and would drive farther to shop there if it wasn't just five miles away like now.