Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hot Time In Hillmomba Last Night

Whew! The Mansion lost her air conditioning last night. The fan blew tepid air, but the temperature started to rise. It was 78 at the time I went to bed. I woke Farmer H to share that information with him. He who turns on the ceiling fan in the bedroom every night because he says a setting of 74 is too hot. There he was, covered to the gills with a quilt, mumbling that it felt fine to him.

Farmer H arose at 4:00. I heard him whacking something metallic out back. Then he took a shower and reclined in the La-Z-Boy until time to go to work at 6:00. When I got up at 7:00, the house felt cooler. I called Farmer H. "I spun the fan on the condenser and got it going. It had frozen up. The guys are supposed to come look at it sometime this morning."

Farmer H had set the thermostat on 72. I left it. I didn't want to jinx it. But by 9:00, the temperature started rising again. When the repairman came at 10:20, it was back up to 75, and climbing. The repairman put in a new capacitor, and I felt a puff of cool air again. It's still working right now. I'm hoping the problem is solved, and that we don't lose electricity tonight from everybody using too much power.

I kind of wish Farmer H hadn't called that repairman a couple weeks ago when nothing was wrong with the AC.

6 comments:

Mommy Needs a Xanax said...

I hope it's just a glitch. Ours is on borrowed time. Actually, it borrowed some time, used it up, got taken to court for failure to pay it back, borrowed some more from a shady lender, and is now about to have its wages garnished.

In other words we're about to spend $7k on a new unit.

I wish a hot summer night with no a/c on NO ONE.

labbie1 said...

This was not what I was expecting when I saw that title! ;-D

Ack! I was thinking "hey, didn't farmer H just have the repair guy out?" Jeepers! Hope it continues to work and the capacitor (why did the change the name from condenser???? Are they just trying to confuse me????) does the trick! Crossing my fingers in this nasty heat!

Chickadee said...

Yikes. That happened to us last week (or 2 weeks ago??)...our condenser thingie blew up Friday night and we called the a/c guy Saturday morning. He came 7pm that night (and our house got up to 85 degrees) and said he couldn't fix it until Tuesday UNLESS we bought a new a/c, which he could "squeeze us in" to install it tomorrow. Yeah right. We called another guy after Mr. Slimeball left and that guy came 10 minutes later!! And had our condenser thingie in and running. Needless to say, that guy who came within 10 minutes is going to receive our business and Mr. Slimeball is not. And Mr. Slimeball will no longer receive the business of our families either. Screw you Mr. Slimeball.

Hillbilly Mom said...

MommyNeeds,
Somebody needs to throw the book at your unit!

***********************************
labbie,
Indeed, Farmer H DID just have the repair guy out. For a social visit, perhaps, since nothing was broken. And the #1 son calls it a condenser.

***********************************
Chick,
What a scammer! Karma will bite him one of theses days. Or Even Steven will pay a visit.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I lived in Georgia growing up with this kind of weather and no air conditioning. Just one small fan that would stir the hot air. Oh and some fans from the church that we confiscated. The cardstock kind that were mounted on tongue depressers. Picture of Jesus petting a lamb on one side and an ad for a funeral home on the other. Those were NOT the good old days!

And I have had tent campers all during this heat wave. I do not know how they managed to sleep!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
That can't be good karma--helping yourself to Jesus fans from church.

My sister got a new, smaller camper and spent the week at a local state park. My mom and the #1 son went up there for supper, and nearly perished from the heat. I don't know how Sis could stand it. I guess she stayed in the air-conditioned camper all day.